Code that checks for specific version of a ribbon to connect to a database? (1 Viewer)

davidb88

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:56
Hi All -

I have been trying to come up with a solution for a problem I am having for a while to no avail. We have a backend database that stores various tables full of data. We then have a custom Excel Ribbon that connects to the database and pulls in the different tables depending on the user selection form the ribbon. Everything is working well on that end. The problem I am running into though is that in the development phase of the ribbon and database we had multiple versions and so there are still some people who are using old versions of the ribbon and therefore not connecting properly to the database. Is there some type of code I can add into the database and ribbon where it checks for a specific version to ensure the user is using the most recent version?

Basically, before any type of query is run to connect to the database the ribbon would have some sort of label on it somewhere and the database would check for that label and if it is correct, the code proceeds and if not a message box appears that tells the user they are not using the most current version of the ribbon and exits the sub?

Hopefully that's clear. I've never seen anything like it, but would like to try to come up with some sort of solution for this problem so any help or suggestions someone could provide is appreciated.

Thanks!

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:56
do you generate the ribbon from usys tables?

if so, maybe you could just copy in the correct usys table, and refresh the ribbon at the outset.

davidb88

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your reply, Gemma. I'm not familiar with usys tables. What are those?

The ribbon we've built was built with an XML editor and it uses VBA and SQL.

Thanks again.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I messed with ribbons in access, and the code I was looking at generated the ribbon from an underlying table, with prefix usys (similar to msys for system tables). I thought this was a standard construct. Clearly not.

davidb88

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, I just realized I did not include in my original post that my ribbon is in Excel. The backend database is saved out on our shared drive and no one except for managers use it. Analysts use the front end ribbon to pull form the database and make edits to the data. So I would need something in the Excel ribbon code that is like a version stamp and the Access database would check for that version stamp before running any other code.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
no, I understood to was excel - I just thought the model would be similar to access.

I think what it was - the code I saw took a usys table file which generated the ribbon by turning it into appropriate xml

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom