complex sql statement - 3 tables (1 Viewer)

and1_hotsauce

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:08
Hi,
I have 3 tables(pictured below). When a student sends an sms I need to check the studentID and password and respond with his/her results.

So far, I have created an sql statement which checks the studentID and passwords and sends a reply with his first name and last name from tblStudentInfo

Code:
SELECT * FROM tblStudentInfo WHERE StudentID = & intStdNo & " AND Passwords =n ' " &txtPassword& " ' "

But this will select the FirstName and LastName from tblStudentInfo.

Is there to way to extract CourseName, Results and Grade in the one sql statement?
Code:
eg. SELECT results,grade,courseName FROM tblResults AND tblCourseInfo WHERE StudentID = '1111' AND Passwords = 'abc123'

note that studentID nor Passwords are contained in either tblResults and tblCourseInfo

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:08
You sure can. Just use the SQL Wizard and select all five fields from the different tables. Open the query in design view, enter criteria in the StudentID and Passwords fields and untick the Show box for those two fields. Go into SQL view and copy the sql statement.

and1_hotsauce

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:08
hI

thanks for your reply.

Are the double quotes and single quotes in the correct place? I have colour coded for readability
CourseName and Grade are both text(string). txtPassword is also text(string).

Code:
[COLOR=darkgreen]"[/COLOR]SELECT tblCourseInfo.CourseName, tblResults.Results, tblResults.Grade

FROM tblStudentInfo INNER JOIN (tblCourseInfo INNER JOIN tblResults ON tblCourseInfo.CourseNumer = tblResults.CourseNumber)
 ON tblStudentInfo.StudentID = tblResults.StudentID

WHERE (((tblStudentInfo.StudentID)= [COLOR=blue]"[/COLOR] & intStdNo & [COLOR=blue]"[/COLOR] ) AND ((tblStudentInfo.Passwords)=[COLOR=red]'[/COLOR] [COLOR=lime]"[/COLOR] & txtPassword & [COLOR=lime]"[/COLOR] [COLOR=red]'[/COLOR])) [COLOR=darkgreen]"[/COLOR]

At the moment I have left spaces for eadability but I will join and make one complete sentece. I am not too familiar with single and double quotes hence I tred not to use concatenation to combine the statements i.e. SELECT & FROM & WHERE

Last edited:

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:08
Yep, the syntax is correct, but it won't return any results because there's a leading and trailing space surrounding the password. That WHERE line should be:
Code:
WHERE (((tblStudentInfo.StudentID)= " & intStdNo & " ) AND ((tblStudentInfo.Passwords)=[COLOR=Red]'"[/COLOR] & txtPassword & [COLOR=Red]"'[/COLOR])) "

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom