Confusion with module and ldb (1 Viewer)

AccessNub

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:13
I grabbed a module a while back from Microsoft's site, i cant remember the name, but what it does is tell me who has the database open (via computer name).

The problem I am having is that when the database closes (DoCmd.Quit acQuitSaveNone) the ldb file still shows people logged in. I double checked to make sure that the database is closed on all the computers that are using it.

The ldb file will eventually clear itself out after a couple of hours but if I am trying to throw a change into one of the forms I can't wait around for the ldb file to disappear so I can have "exclusive access" to the db.

Is there a Quit that will kick the user out of the ldb file faster?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:13
if you are trying to change forms, rather than tables, then the ldb file isnt the issue really

this sounds like another instance of multiple users SHARING a database

if so, you need ot get the database split properly, and give each user their own front end

AccessNub

Registered User.
Local time
ah, therese the code i stole...the one that tells me who is in the database http://support.microsoft.com/?id=198755

My database opens a hidden logout form, if the time of day exceeds the Time i put on a table, then it makes the form visible and starts counting down 3 minutes, after the 3 min is up, it shuts down, but after it shuts down, that Computer name is still showing up in the ldb file.

AccessNub

Registered User.
Local time
Looking around I see that some of the examples use Application.Quit instead of DoCmd.Quit. What is the difference between the 2?

AccessNub

Registered User.
Local time
if you are trying to change forms, rather than tables, then the ldb file isnt the issue really

this sounds like another instance of multiple users SHARING a database

if so, you need ot get the database split properly, and give each user their own front end

When you say give each user their own front end, do you mean that they are storing a split mdb file (everything but the tables) on their local hard drive?

If so, when I need to update the forms, do I just send them all another copy of the database? This would scare me to death as my users arent all that quick at computing.

Or..

If I let access split itself into an MDE file, when people open it does it just clone itself in their temp folder thus letting me do any modifications needed and they will get a fresh copy of it when they open again.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
If so, when I need to update the forms, do I just send them all another copy of the database? This would scare me to death as my users arent all that quick at computing.

Bob Larson has posted a handy utility on these forums for automatically downloading a new version of the FE Db as required. I am afraid I don't have the link to it available just now but I am sure you can search the forum for it.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When you say give each user their own front end, do you mean that they are storing a split mdb file (everything but the tables) on their local hard drive?

yes -exactly that

-------
you can put code in to test a version number, and make sure they are running the correct version, and distribute versions by various methods.

In any event i believe that opening the ldb per se does not necessarily identify the active users although I have seen utilities that can determine this from the ldb file

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom