Controlling hardware via VBA (1 Viewer)

G37Sam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:32
Hello,

What I'm trying to do in brief is to use an MS Access form to switch on/off some lights. I don't know where to start though.

My bulb will be hooked up to some power supply so what I'm looking at is to use MS Access as an on/off switch.

Your feedback will be much appreciated :)

Sam

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:32
Hi,

if your using a laptop, you could -

1. Turn on laptop
2. start access
3. pickup laptop and walk towards the light switch
4. push said switch with laptop

thus getting the lights to turn on and off with access :p ...............

seriously though, im not going to ask why. im not. the key thing would be to make sure you can get your bulb connected to your pc in the first place. you would most definately need some sort of hardware as physically, there is a power source running to / from lightbulb and im pretty sure a bit of code will not stop that. even if it was a rely on a chip, it needs the switch between otherwise what happens when you turn the pc off? you loose your power prevention and on comes the light i guess.

anything can be done, you just need so sort of controller as a middle man.

Nigel

G37Sam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:32
One's got to love English Humor eh haha

Since your curiousity bug is biting pretty bad :p, I'm working on designing an MS Databse to manage a pool (billiards) shop. The MS Programming I can pretty much do, but I know I'll get stuck when it comes to switching the pool table lights on and off.

Of course there will be a manual over-ride switch, but all that will come later on. All I want to know now is how I would control that bulb.

So you're saying I'll need some kind of controller? Say I hook it up to the PC by USB, how would I be able to call functions from VBA to trigger the switch on that controller?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:32
I remember years ago seeing something like this done using the parallel port to control multiple channels. Basically it had relays driven through buffers which were in turn driven by the bits in the port. I think it was done by a model train enthusiast to control switch points and signals.

An off the shelf solution I have seen more recently is an IP adressable switch designed to communicate over Ethernet.

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Today, 10:32
3ammaksamer,

Have a look at the link below. I have no idea that it will be exactly what you are lookin for, but perhaps it will get you started in the right direction.

http://www.appdig.com/adicon_new/ocelot.htm

I would really like to have your feedback as to what you actually come up with and just how you may be able to make it work.

I am kinda interested in this for other reasons which I won't go into right now.

Here is even another link:

http://www.boondog.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom