Cool Search Tool is great but... (1 Viewer)

novtalath

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:25
... fails when you have one set of data the same. In my case: Location - street name, town/village name (for example: Brixworth Road, Spratton). I have couple of datasets like that but with different date (it is for my traffic surveys). When I select in a listbox one of them records, record which is being found and bookmarked is the first one in the listbox that have this name not the one selected. I was trying to attach it to a different bound column but it didn't work.
I have run out of ideas how to make it work (maybe it is because of a Christmas time and New Year coming).

Attached my database (not full of course).
Try to type "Brixworth Ro" (no quotations of course) and select one of other than first one in the list. The red textboxes shows what dates it relates to.

Attachments

• Sites.zip
    244.2 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:25
FindFirst means find the first match for the selected item, which is what it's doing. The same situation arises when using basing a selection in a combobox/listbox based on a last name. What I'd do is, in the query for your list box, concatenate the date as well as the street/town name, i.e.

Brixworth Road, Spratton 25/12/2008
Brixworth Road, Spratton 31/12/2008
Brixworth Road, Spratton 1/1/2008

then whichever one you pick will be retrieved by FindFirst.

novtalath

Registered User.
Local time
My question remains...

@missinglinq: I am too stupid to concatenate these... any help?
Anyone???????????

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:25
[field1] & " " & [field2] & " " & [field3]

That puts a space between each field. & "" & gives no space.

I did not look very closely at your db/problem but I would think the normal search that would be based on [field1] & " " & [field2] & " " & [field3] would be using that to bring up any related records.

I don't know about others but for me searches on such things as Brixworth Ro are to narrow things down to a few records and then I click on the one I want to to do whatever is required.

novtalath

Registered User.
Local time
I don't know about others but for me searches on such things as Brixworth Ro are to narrow things down to a few records and then I click on the one I want to to do whatever is required.
Thank for your response Mike.
The problem I have is that I need to look for all records from 'Brixworth Road' (if I type 'Brixworth Ro' its usually enough to narrow the search to up to 10 - 20 record which is fine as I can see what villages had a survey on Brixworth Road. What I need is som kind of a code hint how to bookmark the record I have selected and data from it to be able to place in a report to print.
Now it bookmarks only first set of these data (lety's say 'Brixworth Road, Creaton') and others made in that location (in a different date) I can't.

I hope I didn't make it more complicated as it really is.

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Your combo box should have the primary key of each row in the list as the first column, this should also be hidden by setting the column width to 0.

Last edited:

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Thank for your response Mike.
The problem I have is that I need to look for all records from 'Brixworth Road' (if I type 'Brixworth Ro' its usually enough to narrow the search to up to 10 - 20 record which is fine as I can see what villages had a survey on Brixworth Road. What I need is som kind of a code hint how to bookmark the record I have selected and data from it to be able to place in a report to print.
Now it bookmarks only first set of these data (lety's say 'Brixworth Road, Creaton') and others made in that location (in a different date) I can't.

I hope I didn't make it more complicated as it really is.

I know I well get plenty of flak for this:D but in my experience the best way for this sort of thing is a continuous form.

So your basic search opens the continuous form for the group of records such as Brixworth Ro.

Have a field in your table for marking puposes and a simple setvalue macro or code for OnClick on the textbox for that field. So you click on the ones you want and the code or macro sticks and X in or the date() or whatever. A query then selects then for the Report.

Following the process you use to run the Report you could have an Update query clear the Xs and put a date in (date of Report) or perhaps that goes in another field. or do "whatever"

novtalath

Registered User.
Local time
Your combo box should have the primary key of each row in the list as the first column, this ahould also be hidden by setting the column width to 0.
You mean the listbox? :] I did that before. And for some reason the thing is NOT looking for that particular data from this column.

I know I well get plenty of flak for this (...)
Nah... No reason to. Just a bit more explanation would help. I have my brains washed after so many hours sitting on my problem :/

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Nah... No reason to. Just a bit more explanation would help. I have my brains washed after so many hours sitting on my problem :/

First, make a continuous form where the record source holds all the "Brixworth Ro" type records.

Lets call this FormFind

You made code or a macro top open this from for you main form and the first line of the macro or code should be to save record.

On your main form add two unbound textboxed. One is left blank, lets call it Text1 and the second text2 has as its data

=[Text1] & "" & "*"

That means if type Brix in Text1 then Brix* will appear in Text2. That is why you want SaveRecord as the first line of the code or macro that opens FormFind so that Text2 now has Brix* for the query to read.

On the query you use to support the continuous form FormFind place in the criteria for the field that has the "Brixworth Ro" type entries

Like [Forms]![YourmainFormname]![Text2]

So typing Brix in Text1 will open FromSearch for all the records where the entry starts with Brix

On FormFind add a button to the row or just use one of the textboxes and put code or a macro for onClick that will setvalue an X or a date or whatever you want into a field. Thus when you see the correct Brixworth Ro and click the X ior whatever will go in the nominated field for that record and that entry is used for the query to select records for you report.

Have code or a macro open and print the Report and following that you would probably have an Update query run that would perhaps clear the enrtries (the X or "whatever" that was inserted) and/or perhaps have a value added to a field which indicated date of Report.

In a nutshell, once you have the continuous form open that is showing the group of records that fit Brixworth Ro you can do just about anything you like with one click.

novtalath

Registered User.
Local time
Mike: you are a star mate. Thank you very much!.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
My pleasure. Glad to have helped you get it sorted

novtalath

Registered User.
Local time
Luckyman13: after some great fun with creating my base and tweaking it into something really nice (I'm showing off now) I have managed to get to stage that I no longer use RecordsetClone just work on queries now. It seems much simpler and never failed me yet.

But in your case - wouldn't it be easier to look for the [Hotel_name] within the selected [Province_name]?

You have already narrowed the search to one province... You have up to 10 Hotels on the list. Just make search for the name and it should work... Unless you have 2 hotels with the same name in province.
Then select something more unique... like [HotelId]

so:
Code:
Private Sub QuickSearch_AfterUpdate()

DoCmd.Requery
Me.RecordsetClone.FindFirst "[Hotel_name] = '" & Me![QuickSearch] & "'"
If Not Me.RecordsetClone.NoMatch Then
   Me.Bookmark = Me.RecordsetClone.Bookmark
Else
   MsgBox "Could not locate [" & Me![QuickSearch] & "]"
End If
End Sub

But you have to remember to change the bound column property for the [QuickSearch] listbox to coulmn 4 (which is Hotel_name).

I have done that to the downloaded base and it seems to work.

I have tried the bit with HotelID as well - and it worked (also changing the bound column property to 2).

luckyman13

Local time
Today, 22:25
Wow, that's great. The sun is shinning now! Thank you so much, Novtalath!

novtalath

Registered User.
Local time
I'm glad to help mate.

Wow, that's great. The sun is shinning now! Thank you so much, Novtalath!
Baamboo-Tra từ "shinning"

/ʃin/
Thông dụng
Danh từ
- Cẳng chân, ống quyển
Nội động từ
- ( + up/down) trèo, leo (lên) (dùng cả hai chân hai tay)
Chuyên ngành
Y học
- cẳng chân
Kỹ thuật chung
- mào xương chày
Kinh tế
- cẳng chân
Các từ liên quan
Từ đồng nghĩa
- noun :cnemis , crus , shank , shinbone , tibia

Xem thêm tại: Baamboo-Tra Từ

I wish I knew what is that ;)