Data Entry in an Access Table via Scanning a Bar code? (1 Viewer)

chohan78

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:23
hi,

I have 100's of new tools in stock and I am trying to save time by entering the 10 digit code including text and number in Access 2007 table by scanning the barcode instead entering them all manually.

idea is to scan a bar code and the code is stored in a field called "Code" and later on can be use for dropdown selection in other forms or tables.
??

struggling to find a way/// :confused: hope someone could help me .....
thanks.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
That doesn't sound right, you shouldn't be struggling. A barcode scanner is simply another method of inputting data just like a keyboard, in fact it works exactly like the keyboard. I don't know really what the essence of your question is? Maybe there something you're not telling us.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:23
Are all your tools barcoded, and do you have a reader? Will you be printing barcodes, or just reading? Or both.

A laptop and a cart with a Bluetooth reader is ideal for mobile applications.

chohan78

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you.

haa haaaa, I am not hiding anything. I was thinking to do a quicker way of data entry in an access form. We have replaced couple of hundreds tools with the new ones and I have to enter all the tools in the system good thing is that they all have barcode and I can get a barcode scanner and do the job quicker and introduce a new functionality for saving time. I was searching if there is a way that I can rest my finger a little bit .................
Could you please give me a bit more advice on that how I can do it? probably place a cursor in the field and scan the barcode I guess ??

waiting for your comments.
thanks

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Could you please give me a bit more advice on that how I can do it? probably place a cursor in the field and scan the barcode I guess ??

Get a Bar Code Scanner!

If you haven't got a bar-code scanner then you can simulate it by keying in the details via the keyboard, then press enter.

A barcode scanner, out of the box will do just that, key in the details of the bar code and then simulate the "enter key press". Be careful if you use a borrowed one, or a second-hand one, as they are programmable, and someone may have changed the default settings.

chohan78

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Access Blaster,

I am trying to scan a barcode from the tool and saves that in an access form in the field called "code".

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
BTW, you can also set the after update of the text box you scan it to... to select the next text box automatically, handy if you need to enter Item ID, serial number, shipping number...

Also you can print out a set of control bar codes. Scan the special code in, and MS Access will do this or that....

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
I am trying to scan a barcode from the tool
You still haven't described how this fails. Yes, you are trying. And when you try, what happens? If we are to trouble-shoot, we need to know what is the trouble. Obviously you trying is not something we can diagnose, except to say, try harder!
Makes sense?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
BTW, you can also set the after update of the text box you scan it to... to select the next text box automatically, handy if you need to enter Item ID, serial number, shipping number...

Also you can print out a set of control bar codes. Scan the special code in, and MS Access will do this or that....
Or you can just configure your scanner to jump left, right or down after scan. No code required.

This is a small sample.

Attachments

• Scanner.jpg
    Scanner.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 245

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Or you can just configure your scanner to jump left, right or down after scan. No code required.

Yes... And make sure the supplier of your barcode scanner supplies you with the set-up booklet. Some cheap barcode scanners from China do not have the setup barcodes provided!

chohan78

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you very much guys.... that's really helpful. It is sorted now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom