database on internet (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Yesterday, 20:17
What kind of company does database on internet? I need a company that will take my DB from beginning to end? Who or what do I look for?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:17
More specifics, please. Are you looking for someone to host a database over the internet, like having a back-end in the cloud? Or perhaps terminals services where FE and BE are BOTH in the cloud? I'm not up on hosting companies, but we would all need to know what your proposed environment would be.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Yesterday, 20:17
More specifics, please. Are you looking for someone to host a database over the internet, like having a back-end in the cloud? Or perhaps terminals services where FE and BE are BOTH in the cloud? I'm not up on hosting companies, but we would all need to know what your proposed environment would be.

That I what I want to find out. Do I need a cloud, do I need back end / front end configuration and what else. I am on the road lots of time. My wife is in rehab facility. When she traveled with me in the RV she would do data entry for new records. I would call for meetings. I could book a meeting and it would be on the same db as hers. Now I book a meeting or update a phone number it doesn't get entered on her copy. If she adds a new record it's not on mine.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 01:17
Dick

Presuming you have an existing access database that you want to pretty much just put in the cloud the only way of doing this would be to contract with a provider that will allow some kind of virtual hosting of your exact database. This is referred to in different ways but a good explanation is described here.

Using Terminal Services and Remote App to distribute applications

I haven't contracted with anyone to do this but we do use remote desktop protocols at work and they work well. The way we have it setup is to connect to specific program (MS Access). This is called RemoteApp and Desktop Connection and I think came in from Windows Server 2008 and above.

see here
Overview of RemoteApp

Using this what happens is that the person or company will host your application for you (you will pay them probably a monthly amount for this) they will then setup for you or help setup for you an rdp file which you can place on a users desktop much like a shortcut. This links to the host server and will run the application in a window using terminal services (terminal services is a thin client) the user sees no difference from using a short cut to get to the access database. But all information is being stored on your host server. The downside it is expensive.

I've done a quick search on the web and found some companies that might do this for you.

Office Anywhere

Access Hosting

Riptide

You could try and do server management yourself using Azure but it is much more involved and you will still need to pay money for this. With Azure when you first sign up you have a free credit for a specific period
Setting up a Remote App Server using Azure

Last edited:

alvarogueva

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:17
If you really are looking to move your database the the cloud, I had a bunch of people telling me to simply update to SQL and get an inexpensive host to host your data online.

That is also expensive, cause now you will have you re code the front end again to match with the SQL, but you are also opening up to millions of new possibilities.

It all depends of your pocket haha!

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
If you really are looking to move your database the the cloud, I had a bunch of people telling me to simply update to SQL and get an inexpensive host to host your data online.

Yep people that don't get MS Access - The front end is probably where all the work is and that's totally annhilated by this. MS Access is a full stack integrated development environment for the desktop. SQL Server is actually quite a small part of a full stack.

Transferring information to SQL Server is good and useful - but you are pretty much exchanging your whole car for an engine... Don't get me wrong its a smart engine which is really really nice but who buys an engine by itself and the people that ask this question generally wanting their VBA in an application and Zero NILL nada VBA can or will be transferred across to SQL Server

Last edited:

alvarogueva

Registered User.
Local time
Yep people that don't get MS Access - The front end is probably where all the work is and that's totally annhilated by this. MS Access is a full stack integrated development environment for the desktop. SQL Server is actually quite a small part of a full stack.

Transferring information to SQL Server is good and useful - but you are pretty much exchanging your whole car for an engine... Don't get me wrong its a smart engine which is really really nice but who buys an engine by itself and the people that ask this question generally wanting their VBA in an application and Zero NILL nada VBA can or will be transferred across to SQL Server

I just feel that is so not fair LOL. I been months learning MS and then I hit rock bottom finding out SQL is more powerful and what I really need it LOL DAMN!

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
I just feel that is so not fair LOL. I been months learning MS and then I hit rock bottom finding out SQL is more powerful and what I really need it LOL DAMN!

SQL Server by itself is totally useless.

You will also need

A Web Server with either Apache or IIS installed (this may or may not be in addition to the server that SQL Server is on)
Sql Server Management Studio
A decent desktop or laptop to access your web server and SQL Server
Some kind of Integrated Design environment eg Visual Studio
A LOT of time to learn Javascript or ASP.NET
Good understanding of CSS and HTML and whatever library
and a purchased domain name
and a whole host of small satellite tools to error trap and pull things together eg GREP / FTP / Reporting Services / Configuration Manager / maybe mail server

Why buy a formula 1 car when you are just planning on getting your weekly groceries?

Last edited:

alvarogueva

Registered User.
Local time
SQL Server by itself is totally useless.

You will also need

A Web Server with either Apache or IIS installed (this may or may not be in addition to the server that SQL Server is on)
Sql Server Management Studio
A decent desktop or laptop to access your web server and SQL Server
Some kind of Integrated Design environment eg Visual Studio
A LOT of time to learn Javascript or ASP.NET
Good understanding of CSS and HTML and whatever library
and a purchased domain name
and a whole host of small satellite tools to error trap and pull things together eg GREP / FTP / Reporting Services / Configuration Manager / maybe mail server

Why buy a formula 1 car when you are just planning on getting your weekly groceries?

That is why I love access. Is like one of those 1997 Toyotas. Never destroy, never die LOL

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
I have a couple of sites using an Access backend.

They were orginally written with VB in Classic ASP. So I had to go under the bonnet and make the engine.

Then ASP.Net can along and then you had to go under the bonnet and the car didn't go faster or do anything better worse it destroyed the pagination. This time I had to fd under the car and fix the transition. It still did exactly the same thing but didn't go any faster.

And then along came mobile phones. This time you couldn't see out the window and depending on the browser the car stopped as you were inferring with the DOM tree substituting images for smaller ones depending on the screen size.

So the poeple at W3C came up with the Picture element specification and we waited for its adpotion within the various browsers. In the meantime as ASP is Client side you had to clandestinely throw the visitor using java script to another ASP page with a redirect back to the initial screen with the clients screen resolution.

Now that the Picture element has been adopted the engine had to rebuilt and all the old code removed and the Picture element substituted. Only problem there is no Width and Height in the specification so R We bothered?

SSRS is considered a modern technology, it hasn't been around as long as Access. In my travels I did come across Power BI that compliments Access (32bit).

Now we all should be learning MVC and C# just to stand still. Mobile phones are being used more and more and yet Access is been denied the opportunity to compete on a level playing field.

The more I see Excel the more I'm still in awe of Access ability to construct SQL statements either raw or in VBA. The execution of SQL within Access is brilliant, I have encountered a few KPI's that would test the ability of many languages but not Access.

I had a client who went to the Cloud and we were back to pre-1995 insofar as data architecture. I preferred the days of blue sky thinking without a cloud in the sky.

Simon

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Simon - the kind of frustrations you describe are, I think, a contributor to the productivty problems many businesses face clearly everything doesn't revolve around computer systems but software can and should be an important leveraging factor in automation.

I maintain MS Access is a quick and simple full stack environment. And to have been able to give that kind of power to your average user is a masterclass in design.

Many of the real leading companies strive to hire full stack developers and there are a lot of very interesting articles on the subject related to web development.

Forbes Full Stack Development

Being a Full Stack Developer

What is a Full Stack Developer?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom