Database opens as read only when opened from a shared location. (1 Viewer)

JGalletta

Windows 7 Access 2010
Local time
Today, 02:00
We have a database on a PC located on our network. The database is located in this computer's shared folder. Another database grabs data from this database occasionally. We're running into a problem where we cannot open the DB located in the shared folder (permissions granted) without it being a read only instance even with no users accessing the DB. Can anyone provide some insight into what's going on here? I may be able to provide more details if necessary.

Thanks,

John

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When a database is opened for the first user, Access creates a lock file - .ldb or .laccdb in the same folder. This lock file is used to manage sharing the database. If Access cannot create the lock file (usually because the user doesn't have create permission on the folder), it opens the file in exclusive mode so others cannot update anything. Then when the last person closes the database, Access deletes the lock file.

Make sure the users have create and delete permission on the database folder.

JGalletta

Windows 7 Access 2010
Local time
Where are the create permission options located, or does this have to be programmed in? It's an extremely basic database, I don't even think the creator used VBA for anything - it's a simple form that enters data into a table. So, I guess what I'm getting at is, do I need to add a module that runs upon opening or is this an option found in the main menu?

G37Sam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:00
He's referring to the folder which the DB is stored in. Right click on the folder and view permissions. Has nothing to do with access.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Talk to your network administrator. Tell him the users of the Access application need create and delete permissions on the folder in addition to read and update. "CRUD" will make sense to him:)

JGalletta

Windows 7 Access 2010
Local time
I'm about as close as we get to having a network administrator, but luckily I know exactly what you mean by "CRUD." I'll double check everything and let you know if that fixes it.

JGalletta

Windows 7 Access 2010
Local time
So, the file itself, and the folder it was in were granting full CRUD permissions, the problem was that the folder was inheriting other permissions from other locations, I granted permissions for all locations in the folder's lineage and the problem is solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom