DateAdd Weirdness (1 Viewer)

hi there

Registered User.
Local time
, 22:30
Howdy all,

I've written a simple little function using the DateAdd system function which i call from query. Here's the logic

If (PassFail = "Pass") Then
IsNull (FirstRepairDueDate)
Else
FirstRepairDueDate = DateAdd("d", 5, InspectionDate)
End If

basically if the PassFail argument is "Pass" I would like the function to not display anything, however i'm not sure what to do because my function returns a data type of Date, which it defaults to 12:00:00 AM using the above logic.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

EMP

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:30
If (PassFail = "Pass") Then
FirstRepairDueDate = Null
Else
FirstRepairDueDate = DateAdd("d", 5, InspectionDate)
End If

^

hi there

Registered User.
Local time
Hi EMP,

Thanks for the response. I tried assigning the variable to Null, however this didn't work. I got a "invalid use of Null" which i think makes sense because Null doesn't really equal anything.

Any ideas?

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Where are you executing this code? I presume it's in a form (though this is the Queries forum...)

You should be using the names of the controls on the form not the field names.

EMP

Registered User.
Local time
Or if FirstRepairDueDate is a variable in VBA, it must be declared as a variant, that is

Dim FirstRepairDueDate As Variant

not Dim FirstRepairDueDate As Date. Only a variant variable can store a Null value.

^

hi there

Registered User.
Local time
Hi EMP and neileg,

EMP is correct i'm using this code as a public function (not on form although perhaps this belongs under the VBA forum) that i call from various queries throughout my application. i tried changing FirstRepairDueDate to a Variant, but this didn't work. I think because my function itself returns a Date data type. When i changed my function to return a Variant data type everything worked.

Many thanks for the help.

Have a nice day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom