Desktop Remote Connection With XP Home (1 Viewer)

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:36
Is it possible to use the Windows Remote Desktop Connection between two Windows XP Home computers? I want a secure way of browsing between the two computers and I thought that the Remote Desktop would be the answer.

I have just created my first home wireless broadband network with two Windows XP "Home" computers in my house. Everything I have found online states that the "Client" computer must have Microsoft Windows XP "Professional" installed.

I have set both computers up for sharing but I do not want to enable the main directories and files for sharing but I do have the standard Shared Documents and printers turned on. Just incase somebody hacked into my home network; I am using the WAP Personal security mode on my Linksys wireless router and Linksys PCI wireless adapters. My concern is I do not want to have the main directories on the C:\ drive set for sharing just incase my network is hacked.

Can I remote between the two Windows XP Home computers in my house? If so, how? Thanks!

Sergeant

Someone's gotta do it
Local time
Start/Help and Support...type in REMOTE and then select 'start remote access auto connection manager' from the results. There are instructions. I don't use it...let us know how it works out.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Sergeant, I attempted to follow your advice but I could not find any instructions on how to do what I wanted in regards to remoting into the computers.

I have found many online articles stating that a Windows XP Home computer can not remote into another Windows XP Home computer. The client [computer you are trying to remote "into"] must be a Windows XP Professinal computer.

I have my wireless setup [I created a bridge] so that each computer can see the shared folders of the other computer. At least I can copy a file to the other computers shared folder when I need to give the other computer a large file. I just wish that there was a way for each computer to browse the other computer without opening up all directories for file sharing. I know that kinda goes against the purpose of network security so I doubt I can do what I want. That is why I wanted to try remoting into the computers but I wanted to remote through my wireless network, not through the internet. I followed the advertised link in this forum to the www.LogMeIn.com site and the free version sounded interesting and the reviews I found sounded mostly good but I prefer not to use a third party software for this plus LogMeIn uses the internet to connect [remote] into the computers.

Sergeant

Someone's gotta do it
Local time
Our IT folks use remote desktop on our network. I'll get the skinny. (Of course, all the WS's have XP Pro.)

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
___ said:
Thanks for the link but I want to avoid the internet access option. Also, this one is at least straight up and warns you about using it over the internet...
http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#ctrl-alt-del
"VNC Free Edition is therefore suitable for use within a local network or secure VPN, but not for general use over untrusted networks, such as the Internet."

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Kodo said:
I saw that one as I mentioned above. It sounded interesting but I want to avoid the internet access option.

I want to only remotely connect within my wireless network [not using the internet], if that is even possible using two Windows XP "Home Edition" computers.

rickyaliasgar

Local time
Today, 12:36
Are both computers on same network or different network? If on same network, use Microsoft Default RDC tool. If on different networks, you need to use 3rd party tools such as logmeinrescue, gosupportnow, GoToMyPC etc. or can even install on premise remote support appliance such as RHUB or Bomgar appliances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom