Download new version of FE from within the FE? (1 Viewer)

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Today, 10:37
[SOLVED] Download new version of FE from within the FE?

I'm having trouble conceptually with whether this is even possible.

Traditionally, I've used version numbers to autoclose the database if the user does not have an up-to-date front-end, with a popup telling them to get a new FE off the server. Of course, some users don't understand this and think the database is malfunctioning, so I've thought about downloading a new copy automagically for them (by convention, everybody stores the FE on their desktop, and we all utilize the same O/S, Windows XP for now).

Is this even possible? Or will trying to overwrite the FE while it is in use cause corruption/more confusion/an invasion of Arcturian Death Beetles? I suppose I could use a batch script, but I'd be happier with something self-contained. We don't have a regular new-release cycle, and I don't have administrative rights to "push" downloads onto their computers.

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 08:37
Why not just give them a batch file to click on to open the FE and the batch file can just go copy the FE down to their desktop and then open up?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Or a shortcut on their desktop which starts a batch file somewhere stored on their computer.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Or you could use my auto update enabling tool, but they would still get a message but Access would automatically reopen after downloading the newer version. But it sounds like this method is similar to what you currently do, so it isn't likely you would want to do that one.

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
I'm not confident these users are savvy enough to run a separate batchfile (all they have to do now is open a Shortcut to the main server file and click-drag the FE to their desktop).

What is this automatic updater of which you speak?
That sounds promising... just saw your signature, will check it out.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I'm not confident these users are savvy enough to run a separate batchfile (all they have to do now is open a Shortcut to the main server file and click-drag the FE to their desktop).

All you would have to do is replace their current shortcut with one that is to the batch file instead.
What is this automatic updater of which you speak? That sounds promising...
Visit the link in my signature. Be sure to select the correct one and then also the documentation document.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:37
I'm having trouble conceptually with whether this is even possible.

Traditionally, I've used version numbers to autoclose the database if the user does not have an up-to-date front-end, with a popup telling them to get a new FE off the server. Of course, some users don't understand this and think the database is malfunctioning, so I've thought about downloading a new copy automagically for them (by convention, everybody stores the FE on their desktop, and we all utilize the same O/S, Windows XP for now).

Is this even possible? Or will trying to overwrite the FE while it is in use cause corruption/more confusion/an invasion of Arcturian Death Beetles? I suppose I could use a batch script, but I'd be happier with something self-contained. We don't have a regular new-release cycle, and I don't have administrative rights to "push" downloads onto their computers.

Users, eh!

surely when the system keeps saying

"please update your version of the prog" they will realise they need to do something

I am sure you can't update the program while the program is running - it has to be done with the system closed.

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Thanks Bob, your automatic updater worked almost flawlessly. I might send you a Private Message with some of the UI weirdnesses I came across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom