Drop-down menu (1 Viewer)

nia

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:32
hiya...
If i have a drop-down menu on my form, where by in the properties i have it as a value list, then in the control source i list all the possibilities in ".." separated by ;, how can i change it so it will accept any new information entered as well as having the information from the list....!!!???!!
Cheers
Nia
(",)

dcx693

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:32
As Rich said, if you must use a typed-in value list, and you also need to store new values, then the best way to do that is to store the "typed-in" value list in a table and also append newly entered values to that same table. Set the rowsource type of the combo box to table/query and point it to the table storing the values.

nia

Registered User.
Local time
Excellent, cheers lads!!
Nia
(",)

nia

Registered User.
Local time
Hi me again
Did as i was told, created a table named Analyst, with one field called AnalystName. Then in the properties of my drop-down menu in my form i changed it to table/query and in the control source i pointed to my new table, but this didnt work, so then in the control source i typed ' SELECT DISTINCTROW [Analyst].[AnalystName] FROM [Analyst]
But again nadda!!!
Any ideas as to where im going wrong
Thanks again!!

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:32
check your column count/column widths and such properties of the combo/listbox.

Regards

Rich@ITTC

Registered User.
Local time
I wonder exactly what you want from your combo list.

1. Do you want users to be able to select from a list of common values, but not limit the user to those values? This would enable users to add new items to the field, but not to the drop down list?

2. Do you want users to be able to add values to the field and for those values to appear from that point onwards in the drop down?

1 - Allows a good degree of freedom for the user ... but also allows errors to slip in. Users can type whatever they like (eg London, Lndon, Londn, etc) and may feel disappointed if newly entered values don't appear next time they use tht drop down.

2 - Requires the Limit to List value for the combo box to be set to true and some coding to add new values to the underlying table of values. This, in my opinion, is the slick way of doing it ... but it requires more planning, VBA coding, etc.

HTH

Rich G

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom