Email formatting when creating in Access VBA (1 Viewer)

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Today, 14:56
Hello community

I have an issues tracking database where the operator can email the ticket history (using ColumnHistory from a LongText field) to relevant persons. Initially I used a macro using the EMailDatabaseObject action. This works fine but then they needed to add attachments. I have achieved this via VBA easily enough. However, the ticket history appears as one continuous line rather than a new line for each [Version History].
So via EMailDatabaseObject i get:
Ticket History

[Version: 17/12/2013 10:09:31 ] yadaddada
[Version: 17/12/2013 13:01:55 ] yadaddada
[Version: 17/12/2013 13:02:53 ] yadaddada
but with VBA i get:
Ticket History[Version: 17/12/2013 10:09:31 ] yadaddada[Version: 17/12/2013 13:01:55 ] yadaddada[Version: 17/12/2013 13:02:53 ] yadaddada

Can anyone identify why and can i get around this?

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Good to see you Isskink, would you mind sharing the VBA Code which you use to send the email?

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Hi Paul - I have been absent for a while, haven't I :eek:

Code:
Public Sub UpdateEmail()

Dim olApp As Object
Dim objMail As Object
Dim objAttachments As Outlook.Attachment
Dim rstCurrent As DAO.Recordset
Dim FieldName As String
Dim rstChild As DAO.Recordset2
Dim strTempLoad As String
Dim fldAttach As DAO.Field2

Set rstCurrent = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Issues")
FieldName = "Attachments"

On Error Resume Next 'Keep going if there is an error

Set olApp = GetObject(, "Outlook.Application") 'See if Outlook is open

If Err Then 'Outlook is not open
Set olApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") 'Create a new instance of Outlook
End If

'Create e-mail item
Set objMail = olApp.CreateItem(olMailItem)

With objMail

'Set body format to HTML
    .BodyFormat = olFormatHTML
    .To = EmailList
    .Subject = "Status update - " & Replace(Replace("Issue |1: |2", "|1", Nz(Forms![Issue Details].[ID], "")), "|2", Nz(Forms![Issue Details].[Title], ""))
    .HTMLBody = "Ticket History" & Chr(13) & ColumnHistory("Issues", "Comments", "[ID]=" & Nz(Forms![Issue Details].[ID], 0))

rstCurrent.MoveFirst
    Do Until rstCurrent.EOF
        If rstCurrent.Fields("ID") = Forms![Issue Details].ID Then
            Set rstChild = rstCurrent.Fields(FieldName).Value ' the .Value for a complex field returns the underlying Recordset.
            rstChild.MoveFirst

Do Until rstChild.EOF
                If Right(rstChild.Fields("FileName").Value, 3) = "msg" Then
                    .Attachments.Add ("S:\Warehouse\SNAP issues\Emails\" & rstChild.Fields("FileName").Value)
                ElseIf IsImage(Right(rstChild.Fields("FileName").Value, 3)) Then
                    .Attachments.Add ("S:\Warehouse\SNAP issues\Images\" & rstChild.Fields("FileName").Value)
                Else
                    .Attachments.Add ("S:\Warehouse\SNAP issues\Documents\" & rstChild.Fields("FileName").Value)
                End If

rstChild.MoveNext

Loop
        End If
        rstCurrent.MoveNext
    Loop

.Display

End With
End Sub

EmailList is a function that creates the To string from name selected in a combobox.
IsImage is a function that returns True is the file type is of an image type.

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Hi Paul - I have been absent for a while, haven't I :eek:
Yes, quiet a while Mark. :)
I think the problem lies in the ColumnHistory function. See if the String concatenation is using a line break.

Also use vbCrLf or Chr(10) & Chr(13). Using Chr(13) on its own does not always work IMVHO.

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Thanks Paul,

I have tried the options on CHR(13) but that has not made any changes to having the heading Ticket History on a separate line.

I have trawled the net on ColumnHistory but can not find anything to explain how each entry is added to the previous - line feed, carriage return !!??

Chrisopia

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:56
is the email plain text or HTML?
I have had to set my body text with basic html tags, such as <font size=12pt> and <b> ...
It may be worth using <p> ... </p> tags, or <br/> tags within the bodytext code??

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Chrisopia thank you

I have tried both ways with no difference sadly.

Using HTML tags may give me the line break between the heading Ticket History and the ColumnHistory - i will give that a try next week.

Perhaps i am looking at this form the wrong angle. It works fine with the EMailDatabaseObject action from a macro but not when using the CreateItem(olMailItem) method from VBA. Does Access do something different when attaching ColumnHistory within the macro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom