Entering Long Running Text in Reports (1 Viewer)

Starnheavn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:54
I am creating a report which will be my Quote/Invoice that will be sent to my customer. I need to be able to enter description information on a product but this will always vary in size and there will be several products sometimes on one quote. HOw can I set up my report that whether description is small or large access will auto arrange the 2nd item right underneath the 1st item without there being so much space between items or the 2nd item running into the 1st item?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
You first start with a normalized database. What is the structure(s) of the underlying tables that this report is built on?

Starnheavn

Registered User.
Local time
I have created a table for Customer Information, a table for my RFQ information (such as quote #, date quoted, Date RFQ received and the qty, description, price and notes). The report I creating will look like an invoice but the info on it will have the Customer Info as well as RFQ information in it. I have attached the database and a copy of what the invoice will look like (its in Word format now but want it like this in access). Thanks for your help. I am not an advanced user whatsoever so any suggestions you may have are definately appreciated. :) (Ok have to send the invoice separate).

Attachments

• RFQ TKING DATABASE.accdb
    1.6 MB · Views: 74

Starnheavn

Registered User.
Local time
Here is the commercial invoice

Attachments

• Commercial Invoice.zip
    208.8 KB · Views: 532

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yeah, you properly layout myRFQTable and this becomes easy. Whenever you have numerated field names (i.e. QTY1, QTY2, QTY3, etc.) you are probably doing it wrong. Whenever this occurs you need to create a new table to hold this information in there and link it back to the table it is currently in by the primary key of the original table.

myRFQTable should have just these fields:

RFQColumn
DATE QUOTE RECEIVED
DATE QUOTED
ISSUED
NOTES

Then you need a new table called something like RFQItems which will hold all those numerated fields like this:

ItemID--primary key autonumber
RFQColumn--link back to RFQ table
ItemQty--quantity of item
ItemDescription--description of item
ItemPrice--price of item
ItemOrder--allows you to order the item if that is important

So now instead of going into myRFQTable, all your items go into this new table and you can add as many or as few items to a RFQ as you like. Once you have your data like this your report will automatically space your items equidistant from another no matter the lenght of the data in them.

Fuse3k

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:54
Assuming you're using a text box to display the description, you can the "CanGrow" property (=True) and it will make the textbox larger for records with long descriptions.

Starnheavn

Registered User.
Local time
Well I thought I replied but my reply isn't on here so typing again...

So to make sure I have this correct...I have a table for RFQ Number, dates, and NOtes, 1 table for my Customer Info, 1 table for my RFQ Items? Should I make the Quote # (since this is the important number that I have autonumbered as the quote # cannot be duplicated and if deleted that's ok if there is a jump in numbers, just needs to be specific to that customer when it is assigned when entering the new record) the related field when creating a relationship between the tables? Also, I created a form to make it simple to enter the data for the person entering the information is there anything that I need to put on the form that me as a novice user should put on the form? Since all these will be separate, if I needed to autonumber an Invoice Number (which would be different from Quote #) do I put those in a separate table as well and can this be done and do you recommend doing it?

Thanks again so much for all your help. You are all awesome and I can't wait to become more knowledgeable in this program. :)

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Boy you sure make it hard for someone to read and understand your questions.

Question 1: Probably. But I also see a Vendor Information table in there as well.

Question 2: I have no idea what you are referencing when you use the term 'Quote #'. There is no field in your database called this.

Question 3: Get your table and query structure right then we can worry about forms and reports.

Question 4: If an invoice is distinctly different than a quote then it would need its own table and autonumber.

Starnheavn

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry for that.

the Vendor information is for internal use and will not be used in an invoice but rather just to input information for the vendor that sent us a quote for the items just as a reference.

The Quote # is the RFQColumn

As for the Invoice/Quote they both will have the exact same information and will look the same as the Quote except where it says Quote it will say Invoice and should have it's own number aside from the Quote #(RFQColumn).

Does this help. Again sorry.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
I see you are posting similar questions in other threads--bad idea. While everyone is giving you good advice on all threads, your questions are not exactly the same in every thread so you are going to end up getting correct yet conflicting advice among all your posts.

I suggest you choose one thread and go with it. Like I said, everyone is answering your questions with good advice, so it doesn't matter which one you choose, but only choose one.

Starnheavn

Registered User.
Local time
I'm just terrible at trying to explain what I need in words LOL. So far I have been able to understand you the best. It's not that I have the same questions I just refer to the same things while asking for instructions on others. Again, sorry. I am working on structuring the database correctly making sure I have what you have explained. I will let you know how it comes out in the next couple of days. Again, I appreciate all your help. I'll send you the updated DB on Tuesday or Wednesday and will input some information in there so you can see how it all goes together. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom