Error Message: the field is too small... (1 Viewer)

LeonDixon

Local time
Today, 17:35
Hi,

I currently have a drop down box with four options in there and the options are:

Low
Minimum
Medium
High

However when i change the options in the table to:

Low
Moderate
Significant
High

it comes up with the error message: the field is too small the accecpt the amount of data you attemtpted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data.

I do not understand what is wrong with the second option of words? The maximum for characters is set to 255 so i am not sure why it is coming up with that error message.

Can anybody help with this?

Thanks!

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Check the RowSource of the ComboBox. If possible post it on here.

George21

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:35
If the field of the table is short text, try to see how many characters you set the field to accept.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
after you pick "significant" - where does this value get stored? that's probably the issue. Maybe it's text(10) - significant has 11 characters.

The other thing is - you are generally better using numbers, rather than text strings for things like this. You may have a table with entries including the value "medium" which now is meaningless, since instances of the value "medium" should now be "significant".

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:35
The other thing is - you are generally better using numbers, rather than text strings for things like this.

Definitely. Using numbers is not only more efficient but it also allows simple querying of a range of values which would otherwise have to be done with tests for each string value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom