European Diaspora (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 16:19
Hmm maybe we should look more closely at this so we can learn what happened and then use what we learn to get rid of the rest of the theists.
Wikipedia writes: "Theism in the broadest sense is the belief that at least one deity exists. In a more specific sense, theism refers to a doctrine concerning the nature of a monotheistic God and his relationship to the universe." Both Christians and Muslims believe in the same God, so how would a "religious" war remove all theists? I presume you must be conjecturing some sort of mutual self destruction.

History, however, would seem to refute true mutual self destruction. While many wars have been pursued for religious objectives, wars have also been pursued for economic/political reasons. I seriously doubt that the Viking raids on England were for religious reasons as was the sacking of Rome following the Battle of the Allia. Wikipedia wrote: "Prior to the battle, the Senones, a single tribe of Gaul, traversed the Appennines searching for new land to settle. They eventually camped outside the town of Clusium (in the Etruscan province of Siena) and began negotiations for land rights." When the negotiations broke down - war ensued. Concerning the Vikings, Wikipedia writes: "The motives driving the Viking expansion form a topic of much debate in Nordic history. One common theory posits that the Viking population had outgrown agricultural potential of their Scandinavian homeland." War, unfortunately, seems to be part of human culture, eliminating theism from the equation would not seem to eliminate war.

Last edited:

chergh

blah
Local time
Today, 21:19
Wikipedia writes: "Theism in the broadest sense is the belief that at least one deity exists. In a more specific sense, theism refers to a doctrine concerning the nature of a monotheistic God and his relationship to the universe." Both Christians and Muslims believe in the same God, so how would a "religious" war remove all theists? I presume you must be conjecturing some sort of mutual self destruction.

History, however, would seem to refute true mutual self destruction. While many wars have been pursued for religious objectives, wars have also been pursued for economic/political reasons. I seriously doubt that the Viking raids on England were for religious reasons as was the sacking of Rome following the Battle of the Allia. Wikipedia wrote: "Prior to the battle, the Senones, a single tribe of Gaul, traversed the Appennines searching for new land to settle. They eventually camped outside the town of Clusium (in the Etruscan province of Siena) and began negotiations for land rights." When the negotiations broke down - war ensued. War, unfortunately, seems to be part of human culture, eliminating theism from the equation would not seem to eliminate war.

I wasn't particularly referring to a war but more just a wish for theists to be far away from me.

I've reread the thread a few times now and I am not sure what your overall point is? Could you summarise it for me?

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 13:19
I wasn't particularly referring to a war but more just a wish for theists to be far away from me.

I've reread the thread a few times now and I am not sure what your overall point is? Could you summarise it for me?

It would be easier to get rid of yourself - or at the very least stop seeking theists out?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Be glad to. Western Europeans moved West because the easy pickings were there. In looking West, they forgot to look behind (East) themselves. In the East, the Muslims - over the last thousand years - either converted the local population or forced them to move (diaspora). Regretfully, Western Europe has turned a "blind-eye" to this. One could even use the more active term "abandonment" of Eastern Europe to the Muslims.

Our history textbooks have been principally written by Western Europeans. As such they have tended to focus on the successes of Western Europe, which is much more interesting than the events in the "backwater" East. Unfortunately, neglecting Eastern Europe is haunting us.

Columbus represents the leading edge of a "refugee" movement by opening the migration of Western Europeans into the New World while the Muslims expanded into Eastern Europe, nearly overrunning Western Europe. The displacement of ethnic minorities from Turkey still continues today. The displacement of Christians from the middle east also continues.

chergh

blah
Local time
It would be easier to get rid of yourself - or at the very least stop seeking theists out?

No need to seek them. They come to my door, they stand in the streets, they spread their beliefs in schools, they take and spend tax money.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
No need to seek them. They come to my door, they stand in the streets, they spread their beliefs in schools, they take and spend tax money.

They start threads -and you join them? Why? I bet you never answer the door though!

chergh

blah
Local time
They start threads -and you join them? Why?

Because I am fed up of being told that to be a good person you have to follow what they say and believe in supernatural nonsense. Sadly people believe that drivel. The lies of theists need to be tackled head on.

I bet you never answer the door though!
[/quote]

If the door bell rings I answer it. My "visitors" never stay long though, they don't even usually finish their tea or coffee (maybe I should change brands), once i start asking them to explain the inconsistencies in the bible.

chergh

blah
Local time
Be glad to. Western Europeans moved West because the easy pickings were there. In looking West, they forgot to look behind (East) themselves. In the East, the Muslims - over the last thousand years - either converted the local population or forced them to move (diaspora). Regretfully, Western Europe has turned a "blind-eye" to this. One could even use the more active term "abandonment" of Eastern Europe to the Muslims.

Our history textbooks have been principally written by Western Europeans. As such they have tended to focus on the successes of Western Europe, which is much more interesting than the events in the "backwater" East. Unfortunately, neglecting Eastern Europe is haunting us.

Columbus represents the leading edge of a "refugee" movement by opening the migration of Western Europeans into the New World while the Muslims expanded into Eastern Europe, nearly overrunning Western Europe. The displacement of ethnic minorities from Turkey still continues today. The displacement of Christians from the middle east also continues.

It just sounds like you don't like islam much and consider it to be dangerous.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Because I am fed up of being told that to be a good person you have to follow what they say and believe in supernatural nonsense. Sadly people believe that drivel. The lies of theists need to be tackled head on.

If the door bell rings I answer it. My "visitors" never stay long though, they don't even usually finish their tea or coffee (maybe I should change brands), once i start asking them to explain the inconsistencies in the bible.

I thought you were trying to get rid of them? Maybe that inconistency of the welcome you pretend to offer whilst wanting to rid yourself of them, iswhy they leave.

Are these Mormons? Do you really invite them in?

chergh

blah
Local time
I thought you were trying to get rid of them? Maybe that inconistency of the welcome you pretend to offer whilst wanting to rid yourself of them, iswhy they leave.

Are these Mormons? Do you really invite them in?

I suspect they leave because they realise there is no chance I am actually going to join their religion.

They are usually jehovah's witnesses.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I suspect they leave because they realise there is no chance I am actually going to join their religion.

They are usually jehovah's witnesses.

Sounds like you invite people in regularly - you know if you got rid of them - you couldn't invite them in?

Who would you have then - just the cat presumably?

chergh

blah
Local time
Sounds like you invite people in regularly - you know if you got rid of them - you couldn't invite them in?

Who would you have then - just the cat presumably?

No I don't have a cat it would just be my wife, family and friends.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
No I don't have a cat it would just be my wife, family and friends.

And the Witnesses - who you strongly dislike? Do you invite others you strongly dislike into you home?

Did you used to have cavity walls?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
It just sounds like you don't like islam much and consider it to be dangerous.
Let me put it this way, my grandparents on my Mother's side came the the US as emigrants (refugees) to escape the Turks. If you watched the video: A 60 Minute Interview with Patriarch Bartholomew you will see that Greeks continue to abandon Turkey. The Greeks would not be doing that if they felt safe and were not being discriminated!

Here is a quickie Google result. Why Christians Are Leaving the Middle East. From the article: "Across the Middle East, where Christianity was born and its followers once made up a sizable portion of the population, Christians are now tiny minorities. Driven by different factors – the search for better opportunities abroad, their status as targets of Iraq's sectarian conflict, a low birth rate, and discrimination – the trend largely holds true across a region where Christians have maintained a presence for two millenniums."

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I think we can keep this thread clean of personal attacks. Stating an opinion is fine, even about a relative group, but personal attacks, especially directed at other members, should be kept out. ;)

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
The French made pacts with the Huron Nation in order to establish the fur trade. Huron people were hunter gather and nomadic within their territories. English were more eager to colomize and delt more with the six nations of the iroqois. First establishing settlements near existing communities so they would have protestion by the six nations.
It did not take long before european greed fueled fueds between the original people, then the europeans decided to just invade and fight over the land which never belonged to them in the first place.
The greed continues to this day, the treaties and agreements created over time are not honoured by non-natives.

From an historical view, the (mostly) English peoples who were the original colonists in what is now the USA were interested in religious freedom, land and money (not necessarily in that order).
The Puritans who were saved from starvation by the local native peoples in New England in the first Thanksgiving soon slaughtered these same native peoples as they did not wish to give up their lands to the expanding colonies.

In Canada, the French realized they had a good deal as the native peoples were more than happy to trade their animal pelts for trinkets and baubles in Quebec. The result is that there were few problems (until later) as the French government discouraged colonization in favor of the fur trade. The French traders had a vested interest in keeping the native peoples alive and working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom