Excel linked to Access do not work in other computers (1 Viewer)

captgnvr

EAGER LEARNER
Local time
Today, 12:31
D/All

I have linked excel 97 to access97 data to get list of crew members.

It works fine from the computer where I have programmed and where the excel file is also on the same comp.

When tried to give demo from another network computr get odbc error message. I read thro lots of articles to install ms query etc. Still get same error msg and on clicking ok etc it says data not refreshed.

Pls guide.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:01
Did you update your link to the excel spreadsheet which I assume you moved along with the application?

captgnvr

EAGER LEARNER
Local time
d/fofa

Did not understand ur question fully. I have not moved along with the application bcos I am unable to find the answer. I read a lot on microsoft query and it is more confusing to give name, etc and again passwords to be given etc. I hope someone here gives me a simple solution as to why I am unable to update the excel link from another computer when it works fine on the computer where it was linked.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 00:01
Is the Excel file, which is linked, stored on a network server where anyone can get to it? If not, it must be in order for it to work. You shouldn't have to relink to it or anything from another computer if it is stored on the network and each person has read/write/delete privileges to that location.

captgnvr

EAGER LEARNER
Local time
d/mr bob

thank you for the guidance. The excel file is inside a folder which is shared on the net work. Will that not be sufficient if u are using the access program to open the excel file linked in access?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 00:01
Second question - HOW did you link to it? It sounds like you used ODBC instead of OLEDB which means that you'll have to create an ODBC DSN on the other machines which match exactly the DSN you created on your machine.

captgnvr

EAGER LEARNER
Local time
D/ Mr Bob

I clicked on 'get external data'; create query; used access query; assigned the cell in excel. Looks fine if I am on the same computer. But when I try to use this excel sheet from another computer then this message about odbc not there etc .

I must take this op to inform you n also than u, that I went thro the links under ur name about 15 days back and read lot about relational deatabase and other article and it was helpful but I have not reached that stage as progress is very slow. Now the very same person is guiding for my roadblocks. :)

captgnvr

EAGER LEARNER
Local time
D/Mr Bob
Alternatively, if you could give me steps to link the excel sheet to access to get data into excel, I will do afresh. Instead of getting into complications of odbc, dsn etc. I also read about the machine language to be same on other computers etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom