Solved External hard drive to ethernet switch (2 Viewers)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:32
I was actually reading that it is the cable itself which is the bottleneck. From what you said you have coax cable - fine for TV not so fine for data transfer (at least in the UK).

Suggest buy a cat6 (or better) patch lead long enough for your purposes connect the two devices and see what you get. Note sometimes you need to use what used to be called a crossover cable where one end of a twisted pair is connected the other way round.

Others have suggested elsewhere using a link box, plugged into your mains socket and providing a rj45 outlet you can connect to your device. You would need one for each device although some of these may have multiple outlets. Not a recommendation as I don't use them but something like this

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Powerline adapters are a great idea (I have quite a few), but the don't generally provide a high speed connection, unless your wiring is nigh on perfect.

When I had the 300Mbs fibre broad band installed at home, I realised that the old PL adapters I had were limited to100Mbs best possible performance. So, I went and purchased a load of 1Gb PL adapters, to get the benefit of my new shiny decent WAN high speed connection.

The performance did improve, from about 35Mbs to 60-70Mbs depending on where I was in the house. Obviously the house wiring wasn't up to the potential performance.

Lesson learnt, and hardwired cable installed to the office from the router and I have 300Mbs internet where it matters.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I found my PL adapters kept losing the connection, wo have bridged routers around the house.
Enough for my needs.

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Finally tried on the PC upstairs that is connected by ethernet.

1702213323270.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom