Frustrated with Datasheet View, I need help (1 Viewer)

David8

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:23
Correction, command 14 corresponds to the "cancel" button, obviously the other buttons are linked to other commands.

David8

Registered User.
Local time
...and another question (I am busy looking at your example). FRM_ClientAddSubform does not have the usual datasheet ability to add new records at the bottom. It seems to be locked at the original number of address records. Would it be possible to design without this restriction? Ideally if you double clicked the record selector on the lower-most row within datasheet view (the one that normal has the star/asterisk) then the FRM_AddAdd would open and allow you to enter a completely new record.

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:23
...and another question (I am busy looking at your example). FRM_ClientAddSubform does not have the usual datasheet ability to add new records at the bottom. It seems to be locked at the original number of address records. Would it be possible to design without this restriction? ...........

That is correct, as the whole point of this exercise is to not have cascading combos, as we have already established they DO NOT work correctly in this environment. We can therefore not allow data to be entered directly into this form.

That is the idea of adding and editing records via the pop up form, an environment in which we can get cascading combo's to work as expected.

David8

Registered User.
Local time
It seems that the pop-up form is in large part a code creation, rather than a 'feature of Access'. That's OK, but it means I now need to go and learn a lot more (code). I wish the concept of a pop-up form was more 'built-in' to Access.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
David:

Access is an application development tool including a plethora of objects, triggers and actions to facilitate a vast range of presentations and functionality. It is simply not plausible to include automated object creation facilities for every possible configuration that might be desired by a developer.

If you want to achieve advanced functionality you need to learn advanced skills in VBA. The learning curve is steep and can be very intimidating at first. However, like any language the little pieces of knowledge eventually connect into a comprehensive understanding. It is well woth the effort.

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Just realised that the button, and instructions, I had on the continuous form footer does not show when that form is in datasheet view :mad: now fixed.

Attachments

• db3.zip
    504.7 KB · Views: 128

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom