How to get the avg in two fields (1 Viewer)

TBC

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:57
I’ve been searching the web and can’t find a straight answer.

If I was to get an average of two fields in access how would I do it? I would think something like this

Avg([3MRank]),([3MRank])
or
Avg([3MRank]) and ([3MRank])
or
=Avg([3MRank]) + ([3MRank])

Could someone please just show me how I would do this?

Thanks

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:57
You missed one more variation:

Avg([3MRank]) + Avg([3MRank])

TBC

Registered User.
Local time
Its just adding the two feilds together? or am I doing something wrong?

3M6MAvg: Avg([3MRank])+Avg([6MRank])

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
The logic behind average isn't meaningful. What are you averaging between two values?? Perhaps you should explain with some sample records how you want the Avg to work based on the records.

I didn't notice your post John.

TBC

Registered User.
Local time
I got this one to work. Avg3M_6M_Rank: ([3MRank]+[6MRank])/2

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
THat is how you work out the Average
add all the data togerther and divided by the number of fate - however be prepared for some skrew on your data

in a large data set you can list them in order highest to lowest and the one in the middle will be the medium (another average)- again some skre w on your data set

Old fashion style (going way back to pre Tv days) was a mixture of both
the middle figure and the mean were analisted and you cna look at there and say although the Average (mean) is x you have the medium of Y and if Y is lower than X then you have more data to one side and have some extrmes messing average out --
so a data set of

1,1,1,1,5,5,5,6,6,67, 10000

5 is the nubmer in the middle (medium)
the average is 918.45
so basically it telling you the average is skrewed by a few high figures and that more data is lower than higher than the data set

you have also got another type of average called mode/modeal - but this is pretty useless in any form of account or representation

Stats will also sometime take the bottom 25% off and the top 25% and average the remaining 50% this should also give a truer figure - if you are doing this ensure that you let htem know the percentile (?) set you are working on

Average - it been over 10 years sinse i got involved with them at this level

regards

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Average is never screwed. To get an average it doesn't matter whether the set is ordered or unordered, you will get an accurate average. If you're looking at the weightings of each of those numbers then you will be thinking of using a coefficient with your Averages to get an approximate mean average.

All the OP is doing is getting an average between two numbers where he's not concerned about the weightings of the numbers themselves.

hk1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:57
I know it doesn't help the OP with his question but I was getting my laughs for the day trying to figure out how you would put AVG Antivirus in two fields in MS Access (as per the post title). :)

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
The average of two field is the sum of and divided by 2 or three etc...

however
extending on this
there are at least 3 types of average Mean/Medium / and Mode
and depending on the data set up
the data can be
skewed (Distorted or biased in meaning or effect.)

in my example the mean isn't really the average (the sum of all data /the number of data) and the medium isn't suitable either you could also say that 1 was the average as it occured most often

Average is a subjective name - and does depend on what you are using it for
in my example if these where average prices paid for shoes

does that mean that the average price of shoes was 918
or would the medium value of 5 be a more realistic average
or even exclude the outer range and 10.11 be the average

in my set of data the realistic true average is probably in the range of 5-10
but what ever average you are using in a presentation - does/should need to be shown

the mean average of 918 - can easliy be interpruted as being most items bought -

The arithmetic mean may be misinterpreted as the median to imply that most values are higher or lower than is actually the case. If elements in the sample space increase arithmetically, when placed in some order, then the median and arithmetic average are equal. For example, consider the sample space {1,2,3,4}. The average is 2.5, as is the median. However, when we consider a sample space that cannot be arranged into an arithmetic progression, such as {1,2,4,8,16}, the median and arithmetic average can differ significantly. In this case the arithmetic average is 6.2 and the median is 4. When one looks at the arithmetic average of a sample space, one must note that the average value can vary significantly from most values in the sample space.

I have had to deal with averages quite a lot - .
drives me pottie

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom