How to open the "Access Option" from a button (1 Viewer)

moi

Local time
Tomorrow, 06:35
Hello all,

I have set on opening of the my db to hide the navigation pane and the shortcut menu bar..

How can i open the Access Option dialog/form to change the setting of navigation pane, shortcut menu bar from a button?

Thank you

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:35
Maybe there's a RunCommand option for it.

Reactions: moi

moi

Local time
Maybe there's a RunCommand option for it.
Thanks theDBguy,

I found this "acCmdOptions"

Now, is this the correct way to use it?. "DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdOptions"

I tried it and it opens "Access Option" form.. is there a recommended way to use it.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:35
Don't need to programmatically open the Access Options dialog to accomplish the actions you describe.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:35
From a "purist" point of view the recommendation is to never use it.

Instead, if you are developing, you have a developer's copy that allows you to see everything, but then when you go into production, you set up a sequence of commands - usually in the _OnOpen event of the opening form - to turn off stuff that you want to keep hidden from users - and they NEVER see your developer copy.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 23:35
Agree with previous answers. However if there is a need to show the nav pane, re-enable shortcut menus etc, that can be done easily using code. I’m on my phone so can’t supply that
Do a search eg on my website for access security OR search in similar threads below

moi

Local time
From a "purist" point of view the recommendation is to never use it.

Instead, if you are developing, you have a developer's copy that allows you to see everything, but then when you go into production, you set up a sequence of commands - usually in the _OnOpen event of the opening form - to turn off stuff that you want to keep hidden from users - and they NEVER see your developer copy.
Thanks The-Doc-Man.. Got your point sir.. Now what are those common stuff need to hide and how to do it. I have now the idea of "toolbaryes/no", and those on Access Option what else do i need to know..
Thank you for your kind help.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:35
Now what are those common stuff need to hide and how to do it.

To answer THAT question, YOU have to decide what you don't want your users to see. But for hints, research the topic "Securing a Database" on this forum. We have had MANY articles. Lots - but not all - are from our member Isladogs either as original articles or in response to this kind of question. It all starts with a "pure" developer's copy that you NEVER release to the public, but instead make a production copy that gets the special treatment of turning off or hiding features. There are ways to hide the ribbon, the object list (a.k.a. navigation pane), and certain other features. The idea is that if you are going to start hiding things, you don't want your users to be able to open things that are unguarded - like tables and queries - where they could change content without going through a checklist of "do" and "don't do" rules. The "Securing" articles will explain it all.

moi

Local time
To answer THAT question, YOU have to decide what you don't want your users to see. But for hints, research the topic "Securing a Database" on this forum. We have had MANY articles. Lots - but not all - are from our member Isladogs either as original articles or in response to this kind of question. It all starts with a "pure" developer's copy that you NEVER release to the public, but instead make a production copy that gets the special treatment of turning off or hiding features. There are ways to hide the ribbon, the object list (a.k.a. navigation pane), and certain other features. The idea is that if you are going to start hiding things, you don't want your users to be able to open things that are unguarded - like tables and queries - where they could change content without going through a checklist of "do" and "don't do" rules. The "Securing" articles will explain it all.
Many thanks sir.. i learned a lot of do's and don'ts from you.. slowly i am learning..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom