Hyperlinks have stopped hyperlinking! (1 Viewer)

wiltshire

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:11
Hi There,

I have a documentation control system that I wrote in Access many years ago for my company. It has always workd very well, with a table populated with hyperlinks to a server drive that opens the documents when the user clicks on the button in the forms views.
Today I have had a user report that the buttons are not opening the files and, after looking for myself, I've found that most of them don't work any more. And the ones that do work have exactly the same settings as the ones that don;t.

When right clicking and going to Hyperlink\Edit I can view the address which looks fine, and when I rebuild the address manually by going through the paths to the document, it works again. It's worth noting that no changes to teh server drives have been made as the manually located address is identical to what was there before.

I have 1070 documents on the system and really don't fancy the idea of manually rebuilding all hyperlinks.

Does anyone have a magic answer, or have you seen this type of thing before?:confused:

Thanks

aattas

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:11
Hi,

Yes it happened to me. All of a sudden, the hyperlink stopped to do its job. Im still waiting for help

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:11
@aattas - first question is, do you know if you had a Windows update just before this problem started for you. Second, and this isn't a dig, just a simple comment... you tacked onto an 18+ year old unanswered post. You MIGHT have done better to just post on your own. But now that you have posted, the first thing I would look for is go to the Window Update and look at the update history.

I researched the topic "hyperlinks stopped working" on the web and got several pages of hits, most of them related to either a Windows update OR an Office Update. Rarely it was a browser update that did it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That may have been answered BC... before coffee. But then again, that kind of math is why I do everything by computer these days.

aattas

Registered User.
Local time
Dear The Doc Man
Thanks for taking my enquiry, poor guy Whiyshire, nobody looked into his problem until i came along. BTWI have open my case in another page, but what i saw the poor guy had the same problem, I didnt see the date.
Anyway, i just checked my computer , it is up to date. Still I have problem getting the web to recognize my site.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:11
@aattas We weren't asking if your PC was up to date, we were asking when it last was updated, as it was probably the update that has caused your issue?
After all, as you stated nothing else has changed.

aattas

Registered User.
Local time
Hi guys, Thanks for the interest.
I should have been more clear. If i use the same site on all browsers, the site comes out perfectly. The only problem i have is when i created a button in my access program to go to the site, it says that such site could not be found. Even i use the same site in an email contents, the site opens .Only if its come from inside the MS ACCESS forms. The funny thing is it was working, then after few days i tried to call for the site from the same form (ACCESS) the message appeared.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Check for an Office update. That is fairly narrow and yet could have done the dirt.

We are pointing this way because of a simple fact: Computer behavior is remarkably consistent. By that I mean that the computer isn't smart enough to have a mind of its own like a two-year-old interested in random stuff. It doesn't wander all over the place to chase down butterflies. One great power of a computer is accurately repetitive behavior.

Therefore, if action A worked two weeks ago but does not work today, then all other things being equal, something about the program or the O/S must have changed. The most common source of this kind of error is an update published by Microsoft. The next most common thing is that some OTHER change in your program had this effect and you just don't recall making it. The third most common thing is if you are in a managed network based on a local domain, your domain admin might have changed something and failed to tell you. That isn't as far-fetched as it sounds, since domain-based routers CAN have rules that test by name for whether program A from computer B has the right to visit web-site C. That one caught me in the case that Access wasn't allowed to use SMTP to a particular gateway but Exchange WAS allowed in the same network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom