Importing currently linked tables (combining front and backend) (1 Viewer)

emorris1000

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:33
I have a database that is designed with a front and back end, with the FE linked to the BE. Some potential customers want to play around with the database, and the easiest way for me to get them access to it would be for me to combine the FE and BE and just give them a copy of that. Long term this is not a good solution for many reasons, but it's the best way right now.

Now, I know how to link a table, and I know how to import a table. What I'm unsure of is how to cleanly convert a linked table to a local table. This is a pretty complex database, and I'm concerned that if I do this wrong it will break a LOT of stuff in the process.

Any thoughts on this?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:33
rather than modifying the front end, modify the backend by copying all queries forms, reports and modules from the front end.

Then you haven't got to worry about recreating relationships etc.

Solo712

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:33
I have a database that is designed with a front and back end, with the FE linked to the BE. Some potential customers want to play around with the database, and the easiest way for me to get them access to it would be for me to combine the FE and BE and just give them a copy of that. Long term this is not a good solution for many reasons, but it's the best way right now.

Now, I know how to link a table, and I know how to import a table. What I'm unsure of is how to cleanly convert a linked table to a local table. This is a pretty complex database, and I'm concerned that if I do this wrong it will break a LOT of stuff in the process.

Any thoughts on this?

The simplest way I know is to import the tables and relationships from the BE after you have deleted all the linked tables from the FE (I trust you will make yorself a copy). Then use the external data tab, click on the Access icon browse for the BE file and specify tables. Select all the tables and then go to Options to confirm that Relationships is checked. Then go. You should be done in no time.

Best,
Jiri

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom