Indexing -- reading all index properties (1 Viewer)

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Today, 02:02
I've answered enough, so I get to ask one. ;)

I've written a little module that will accept a table name, read the indexes on that table and drop those values into a temporary table, remove the indexes, perform a lot of data manipulation (updates, appends, deletes, etc.), and then put the indexes back on the table. Visually, it's this:

Read Indexes -> Temporarily Store Indexes -> Drop Indexes from Table -> Manipulate Table -> Restore Indexes to Table

The reason you would want to do this, in case you're wondering, is that if you are working with massive amounts of data and you have a lot of indexes on the table you are working with, they can slow down the process exponentially.

As a real world example, appending ~700K rows to a table that already had ~1.5M rows took 2 1/2 hours because that table had several indexes on it. If you manually remove the indexes and perform the same append, the process takes less than a minute. (I'll explain why if anyone wants.)

I need to get it automated because different tables have different values indexed and those indexes can change over time, so a static "Table of Indexes" will not suffice.

I can drop indexes using DDL:
DROP INDEX IndexName ON TableName

I can add indexes using DDL:
CREATE INDEX IndexName ON TableName (IndexField1, IndexField2, etc.)

I can read existing indexes using VBA:
CurrentDb.TableDefs("TableName").Indexes("IndexName").Fields
(This is pseudo-coded as I iterate through to get all table names, all index names, all field names, etc. and write that to a table on the fly.)

The only issue I have is that I can't seem to access the IndexField's Sort Order property. An index can be sorted ascending or descending, but I can't figure out how to read the sort order on an existing index field. There must be a method or property I'm missing, and hopefully, someone knows just what that is.

I'll post a picture of exactly what I'm talking about if that clears it up any.

Thanks.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 00:02
Check out the Attributes property of the DAO.Field object, a member of the fields collection of the index object. Zero (0) is ascending and has no enumeration constant. One (1) is descending and you can use dbDescending.
Cheers,
Mark

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Today, 02:02
That did it LagBolt. This is working:

CurrentDb.TableDefs("TableName").Indexes("IndexName").Fields("IndexField").Attributes

Since the index can have multiple IndexFields, I'm just using the Fields collection and specifying the field in there. Not sure how "Attributes" applies to the sort order, especially when I can directly get to everything else in the index (AllowNulls, Unique, etc.), but whatever. :)

Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom