Ken Higg hits 10,000 posts (1 Viewer)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:33
Was already done June 2008, but not by VIPs, it was only the dutch government :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know ;)

Is it right that you can still smoke the strong stuff as long as you don't use tobacco with it?

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 10:33
Yeah, I know ;)

Is it right that you can still smoke the strong stuff as long as you don't use tobacco with it?

No smoking anything has been banned within any building, except in your own house. But since I moved to France I couldn't care less. ;)

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:33
Congratulations Ken!

As far as the other subject of this thread, I am also disheartened to see that Colin has been banned. I enjoyed his contributions and his sense of humor, and I think these forums will be less entertaining and interesting (and certainly less grammatically correct), without him.

I think it is sad that free speech, which is becoming harder and harder to come by out here in the real world, is also being limited on the internet. I also think that contributing to the water cooler part of the forum should not be frowned upon. Especially since it is not "PC" to discuss anything but the weather at work anymore, I think it is valuable to have a place to converse with others in similar professions where "the boss" isn't listening.

Just my $.02

Local time
Today, 03:33
There certainly appear to be a lot of people viewing at the minute. And we do get new members regularly, every time you look at the latest member name it's changed! It could be to do with the format of this forum. I've taken a look at other forums and, to be honest, they just look too messy. I have enough mess in my mind trying to sort out code without trying to battle my way through a messy forum site for help. This one is easy to read and easy to use.

Oh, and the users are usually very consise in their answers to any technical questions.

I have to second this. The format here is easy to read, the fonts are nice, the tools are nice, and the people seem more like people who are here to help. Oddly enough, some of the same people answer questions on another board with the same answers but I don't get the same "feeling". It may totally be about formatting of the page and tools.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 01:33
I have to second this. The format here is easy to read, the fonts are nice, the tools are nice, and the people seem more like people who are here to help. Oddly enough, some of the same people answer questions on another board with the same answers but I don't get the same "feeling". It may totally be about formatting of the page and tools.

Exactly why I am here. I have no doubt there are several other great places out there that can answer questions and indeed I do visit them if they show in my Google searching for a specific question, but it's vBulletin that enables me to feel right at home here.

R

Rich

Thanks Alisa. :)

Well I'm confused by the conduct of some people, why would somebody start a thread praising a members contribution, then in the next breath state that the praised member has been put in his ignore list and then even go on on a puplic forum to slander other members and then use his own power to remove a member who fights back:rolleyes:

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:33
Well I'm confused by the conduct of some people, why would somebody start a thread praising a members contribution, then in the next breath state that the praised member has been put in his ignore list and then even go on on a puplic forum to slander other members and then use his own power to remove a member who fights back:rolleyes:

Watch out Rich, I don't want you to be next.

statsman

Local time
Today, 04:33
No worries, I would take legal advice based on the slanderous remarks made against me on a public forum..............

What about the slanderous remarks you have made in a public forum. I believe there's a class action awaiting certification. :D

IMHO Colin was a pain in the a$$ and the forum will be better without him.

R

Rich

What about the slanderous remarks you have made in a public forum.
Never against an individual except one and you're getting confused between political views and one's ability in Access, oddly enough I've never brought the former onto the main boards which means one has to wonder why it was brought into this thread in the first place

Local time
Today, 03:33
Just an observation, not an "official" answer to your question.

Members of the AWF VIP group generally have a reputation of 50 or higher. At 50 rep points, if you mouse-over the green jellies, it will say "X will become famous soon enough." Now, keep in mind that even after someone becomes a VIP, they may get positive or negative reputation, resulting in a change to this. But, generally speaking, at the time the current batch were selected, they were all at 50 or higher.

Aside from that, there are some members of the AWF VIP who are moderators or MVPs, who may not have had 50 rep points at the time this current group was selected. Reason's for this may be that they are new to the forum but have a reputation in the community for their helpfulness (as in the case of some of our MVPs) or are moderators here.

Just my observations, in no way to be considered policy or even the real way it all went down. From what I could tell when the process was being conducted, there was absolutely no randomness or favoritism...it was mostly based on a query from the vBulletin software. But I believe the general qualification is: "technical knowledge and helpfulness".

KenHigg

Local time
I apologize to Ken for bringing the Watercooler posts into this whole thing. Sorry Ken.

:p

I knew you had a lighter side :D

And I'm sorry I whined like a 2 year old. You see more from your perspective around here than I do- Best if I leave it to you who needs banned and who doesn't.

Jacob Mathai

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:33
My plea is this: Let things cool down.

This is a great forum for both technical help and social chat.

Let us keep it that way.

KenHigg

Local time
My plea is this: Let things cool down.

This is a great forum for both technical help and social chat.

Let us keep it that way.

Ok. I got no where trying it my way so I've decided to shut up and let Bob do what he signed up to do: Admin the forum :)

Luddite Lad

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:33
reputation of 50 or higher. At 50 rep points, ..............

Sorry, way off topic I know, but do rep. points have a limited lifespan, or are they permanent? ie. do they expire after a period of say 12 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom