Linked Tables with SQL2008 and Access FE (1 Viewer)

Johnny Drama

In need of beer...
Local time
Today, 03:04
Hi all,

I split an Access 2007 database and put the table into SQL2008 using the Microsoft SQL Server Migration tool. When I linked the tables in SQL to the access FE, a second set of tables was also created in the access FE. From what I understand the FE tables then update the tables in SQL and vice versa as changes occur. Too me this defeats the purpose of performing the split in the first place.

As part of my testing I deleted all the tables that were created in the access FE and everything still seems to work as it should. Data is being updated on the SQL backend and being properly pulled and displayed by the forms/reports.

Can anyone tell me if it is a bad idea to delete the tables that were created on the front end? Should I be worried about something blowing up down the road?

Thanks

bparkinson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:04
If you have deleted the linked SQL Server table from the Access FE and your forms are still updating the SQL Server tables you must be using unbound forms with ADO recordsets, or be using stored procedures. Is something like this the case?

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 11:04
Investigate to determine whether the tables have actually been created or you simply have "Links" to those tables. It sounds to me as if you just have links in which case deleting the tables will break your application.

Johnny Drama

In need of beer...
Local time
Today, 03:04
Not using any unbound forms, or ADO recordsets (so far as I know, which isn't much when it comes to this).

Tables were created and present in the SQL 2008 back end, and after entering test data in the front end I can see it in the tables on the SQL back end.

bparkinson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:04
you have linked tables then. Deleting the Access tables that were upsized to SQL Server is fine, and recommended.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 11:04
Make sure you take a copy of your front end and then you can delete and if things go wrong you can go back to the old copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom