Load Pictures (1 Viewer)

Spentak

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:00
I need a picture to load every time I select a client name from my combo box. The picture needs to be installed on the computer, not the database. How I want it to work is that when creating a new client i click the "Take Picture" button on my form, a blank screen pops up and I take the picture. The screen has pre-designed dimension sizes 256X256. Then when I click save, access would automatically save the file name as the clientID from the combo box, and it would save each picture in a certain folder. How do I do this?

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 22:00
Simple Software Solutions

What are you taking a picture of? If this is something like a membership card system that holds the members photo? You first need to decide what format you are storing the graphic in, what middleware you are using to interface with the access screen. Are you using video capture or digital imagery. Are you going to be distributing this app to other locations. Some OCX's are available to capture images via a web cam but they need to be independantly installed on the host pc. This is no good if you are planning to have it on more than one pc.

CodeMaster::cool:

Spentak

Registered User.
Local time
Pictures

The pictures are of clients(so when they come in we can pull up each record) the files will need to be stored on a network server so all computers can access the pictures. No video, just pictures, probably small ones 256X256. What do I need to do to get what I want? Do I need to purchase a camera that has a source code and is VBA friendly?

What do you mean by middleware?

DCrake

Remembered
Local time

My main concern is how you are going to receive a photo of your client? Who will be taking the picture? What are you using to take the picture? Are you storing the picturees in a central location? How do you think you will achieve this goal?

Middleware is a piece of software that sits between the main application and the solution to your problem. In other words Access has the caperbility of displaying pictures on a form using an bound/unbound OLE object. However, first you need to be able to reference the picture. If the picture already exists on your pc or a server you can simply point to the location. If you want to take a picure from within Access you need to be able to have some sort of viewfinder similar to digital cameras. The middleware is the small applet, usually an OCX type program that you can reference and utilise with you main application. Sometimes you can find freely distributable controls, however some need to be installed on each host pc. Be aware of this if you require more than one intallation that needs this functionality.

Have you ever had your picture taken for a security badge? Think of the solution along these lines.

David

Spentak

Registered User.
Local time
How do I go about in access, to have a button on a form, that when a user clicks, it opens to the file that has all of the pictures, and they can select the right one? And also, do you know of any "middleware" that I can try out?

DCrake

Remembered
Local time

Things are coming to light. You never mentioned that you have a location where existing pictures are stored.:( What you need is a new field in your suppliers table that holds the path and fielname of the picture you want to display. Next place an unbound ole object or image control on the form. Then go to the properties of the control and set it to the path held in the aforenamed field. This can ben done in VBA on the OnCurrent or Afterupdate of an form or a control. such as

Code:
    Me.Image.Picture = LoadPicture(sFile)

Where sFile is the full path and filename of the desired image

David

Cicak

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:00
Hi.
Just wondering if one could use a hyperlink data type rather than an OLE object in this situation?

DCrake

Remembered
Local time

Simple questions like this usually come under the heading RTFM:rolleyes: or why not try it and see what happens....

If it doesn't work, then ask? There is only one sure fire way to learn more about Access and it caperbilities is to try it, if it errors, try something else.

CodeMaster::cool:

Cicak

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:00
Yeah. Sorry! :eek:

I have tried both, actually, but i'm not sure about the differences between using a hyperlink and an OLE object, like when one might be more suitable than the other, and whether in Spentak's case here, would a hyperlink be an appropriate alternative..

Well thanks and sorry if there was any misunderstanding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom