Look for Duplicate Values (1 Viewer)

LKE

Local time
Today, 15:41
Hi:

I have a form that automates a series of events (i.e. there is an ID number (primary key) on form 1 that is carried over and inserted on form 2 (in the load event) when the button is clicked. The button also looks for required fields & prompts the user if they are blank, opens form 2 and closes form 1). However, my latest problem lies in the fact that when form 1 is closed and the primary key contains a duplicate value, the record is not saved. That being the nature of primary keys it's a good thing, but the user is not prompted (before the form is closed and record lost) if they have duplicated the key. Basically, I don't know the function that would go back and check for duplicate values.....can you please help??? I also need the user to be prompted when duplication occurs. I hope that makes sense!! I am severely strapped for time, so any help you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Here is the code from form 2 (if you could please tell me where to put your suggestions in the existing code, that would also be fantastic....it is usually a lot of trial and error before I get things correct.) Thanks!

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit
Private Sub Form_Load()
Me!txtRPSID = Me.OpenArgs

End Sub

Private Sub OpenSectionIII_Click()

' Check to make sure RPS Certification Number has been entered

If IsNull(Me![RPS ID]) Then
If MsgBox("'RPS Identification Number' must contain a value." & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & _
"Press 'OK' to return and enter a value." & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & _
"Press 'Cancel' to abort the record.", _
vbOKCancel, "Error! A required field has not been entered!") = vbCancel Then
DoCmd.Close

Else
Me![txtRPSID].SetFocus
End If

Else

' Open the next form prior to closing this form so as to pass variable
DoCmd.OpenForm "Section III: Commercial Operation Date", , , , acFormAdd, , Me![txtRPSID].Value
DoCmd.Close acForm, "Section II: Fuels, Energy Resources and Technologies", acSaveYes

End If

End Sub

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom