Maximum number of controls in a form... (1 Viewer)

jonathanchye

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:55
Well it seems like I've cheated Access long enough :) Everything was working fine until I close and reopened to DB. Now the form crashes 1-2 seconds after it loads. I've removed all code/macros so I think the only thing to suspect is that I've exceeded the number of controls.

I am trying to delete some controls but it takes ages to delete (crashes if I delete more than 10 controls at once) so I have to delete them one by one...

Interesting :S

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:55
I don't think it's so much whether the number of controls is too high, or not. If the solution needs 1000 controls, then that is what it needs.

Now it may be that these could be presented differently by grouping them in subforms, and showing the subforms on separate pages of a tab control, say. I suspect that 1000 individual controls are not visible all at the same time anyway, although maybe they are.

My thought was just that maybe 1000 controls might reflect a less than ideal design, that could be improved upon. That was why I asked the question.

I agree the point about KPI's. By their nature these are often all the result of sinmlge dlookup's, or a single field from a certain total's query. It''s difficult to do other than just present them one at a time. And even if the whole form takes a few seconds to load, it's still worth that for ease of presentation.

I also think access is a very friendly beast, and easily adapted to solve some general programming problems that otherwise would need a different language. It doesn't HAVE to be used for just databases.

Last edited:

rizzyboy

Local time
Today, 03:55
I used the control counter shown here and I got 557 controls on my form. The form is a visual timeline presentation of processes that are assigned to our Thermal Treatment Department. Picture a gannt-style chart that shows 25 furnaces, up to seven processes per furnace and two controls for each process (a rectangle and a label). Right there are 25x7x2=350 controls. Other controls for gridlines add to the count. All of the controls are on the form but are hidden. When the chart is refreshed, Access loops through the data (recordset comes from a stored procedure on SQLSVR), resizes and repositions the necessary controls and finally unhides them. An additional refresh will put all the controls back in the corner, rehide them, and then go through the task of doing it all again. A full screen refresh takes less than two seconds. Access has always been a low/no cost solution to my programming requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom