Microsoft Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions (1 Viewer)

Penmore

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:26
I'm trying to locate the Developer Extensions so that I can compile my Access 2003 application to distribute to my end user.

I'm getting totally lost in the myriad of documents and links on the MS website that keep sending my round in ever decreasing circles. I've downloaded Visual Studio Express - Visual Basic Edition but can't seem to find it in there.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the software that I need to be able to distribute my Access 2003 applications.

Penmore

Registered User.
Local time
Bosch,

Thanks for the link and confirmation that the Developer Extensions are part of the package however, I have just spent a couple of hours trying to find help file information on how to actually compile my Access 2003 application so I can distribute it.

The Visual Studio package isn't very intuitive and the help files contain little information on deploying Access 2003 applications. This link and the two at the bottom of the page provide more information but nothing that actually describes how to deploy Access 2003 applications in Visual Studio:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011208861033.aspx

If anybody can help with a short tutorial, or a link to one, then I would appreciate it very much.

Bosch

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:26
the following link tells you how to create mde file..

http://www.databasedev.co.uk/microsoft-access-mde.html

I didnt read it fully but you will have to compile the code before you create the mde file. Open your mdb file then under view menu select code.
Then select Debug / Compile and save. then follow instructions above.

If you have installed Microsoft Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions..
Then you shoud see it under programs/ms office..
select Microsoft Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions
then Package wizard.

Package wizard will tell you what to do..you will have to specify the mde file location and mdw (if you have security enabled).

Hope this helps.

Penmore

Registered User.
Local time
My problem is that I cannot find out where to get Microsoft Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions. Everything that I read says it's free with Visual Studio but it doesn't appear to be in the Express edition.

Can you tell me what I need to install to get the Microsoft Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions and will they be free to use in the future or will I have to purchase a version of Visual Studio?

The information provided for this product on Microsoft’s website is appalling, confusing statements and links that just lead you around in circles with no clear path that points to the product you need to download to get these tools.:mad:

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Maybe this is not a feature with the Express addition. Do you know for a fact that this is a feature with the Express addition.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:26
Never heard of the "Express" version of the Microsoft® Visual Studio® Tools for the Microsoft® Office System version 2003. If that is what you have then it probably does not have what you want to create and distribute Access runtime installations.

Bosch

Registered User.
Local time
You need to get
"Microsoft® Visual Studio® Tools for the Microsoft® Office System version 2003"

not just Visual Studio.

There are several Visual studio products..dont get confused with them.
I dont think you get this for free.
When you get the CD, there must be a separate setup.exe for access developer extensions in addition to Visual studio tools.

Penmore

Registered User.
Local time
ghudson,
The link you gave seems to suggest that Microsoft® Office Access 2003 is a resource for Microsoft® Visual Studio® Tools for the Microsoft® Office System version 2003 but I cannot find anything in my Access 2003.

Another information sheet I've seen suggests that when it is installed it shows on
the Start >>> Programs >>> Microsoft Office menu in XP but I haven't got is there.

KeithG - I think you are right about the Express version, I couldn't find it on that either but I may install it again and see if Tools appear in the Microsoft Office menu.

Overall the MS web site if pretty poor in providing information relating to the options for obtaining the necessary Tools - I've spent hours searching around their site and still can't find the product or information I want.

Does anybody on these forums distribute their Access 2003 developments ??

Bosch

Registered User.
Local time
Dont seem like you are listening to me!
I have developer extensions installed in my computer and distribute my access application..What I am telling you is my first hand experience..

Penmore

Registered User.
Local time
Bosch,
I think our last posts crossed, sorry about that. I am listening to you and taking your advice, I'm just getting totally frustrated by the total lack of information that is on the MS website, some of which now appears to relate to previous releases of the Tools.

Can you tell me what product your developer tools came with? I understand what you are saying about them being seperate from Visual Studio but what I need to know is which product they come bundled with.

Thanks,
Peter

Penmore

Registered User.
Local time
Bosch,
I think our last posts crossed, sorry about that. I am listening to you and taking your advice, I'm just getting totally frustrated by the total lack of information that is on the MS website, some of which now appears to relate to previous releases of the Tools.

Can you tell me what product your developer tools came with? I understand what you are saying about them being seperate from Visual Studio but what I need to know is which product they come bundled with.

Thanks,
Peter

Bosch

Registered User.
Local time
This was my first reponse to your question.

You need the following software.
"Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2005 Tools for the Microsoft Office System"

"Microsoft Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions" is part of it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/pr...s/default.aspx

Dont worry about what the website says..It may be confusing..I did feel like you until I bought the software myself.

Penmore

Registered User.
Local time

Bosch

Registered User.
Local time
I dont see "Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2005 Tools for the Microsoft Office System" in the list of trial softwares..

I believe they dont have a trial version for this particular product.
I simply bought the licensed software. Did not try to find trial software.

Penmore

Registered User.
Local time
I'm getting absolutely nowhere with this. If you do a search on Google for Visual Studio® 2005 Tools for the Microsoft Office System you'll see the range of confusing links and costs for this product. Also, you can download a copy at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-dc41-4792-8ef8-f4de62ff1e81&displaylang=en
but you need to have one of the listed Microsoft Office products installed, of which Access 2003 isn't one.

I have managed to find some contact details for MS in the UK so I will follow that approach for the time being and see what they have to say - will post back with what I find.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:26
FACT: You have to buy the full version of the Microsoft® Visual Studio® Tools for the Microsoft® Office System version 2003. The Developers Extensions is a component that you can install when you install the full version of the Microsoft® Visual Studio® Tools for the Microsoft® Office System version 2003. Once you install it all the "Package Wizard" will be available with a shortcut that points to the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\ADE11\WZADE.MDE" file [Access wizard] which allows you to create runtime installations. You have to have Windows XP and Office 2003 already installed for any of this to work.

Purchasing Visual Studio 2005

Ask your questions here for a better response from Microsoft...
Blogs - Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System, Version 2003

Good Luck!

BTW, I just googled for the above info and the links I provided so searching does work.

Penmore

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the information which confirms what the Microsoft people told me here in the UK. The major problems are that lack of availability of the 2003 version and the extremely high cost of the 2005 Tools package to get just the Access Developers Toolkit --- Over £600.00 here in the UK :eek:

Given there is no other option within MS I've giving serious consideration to just dumping Access and looking for an alternative database package to develop this one application in. It really is a shame that nobody in Microsoft gave any thought to the impact of this bundled package on the small developer who isn't interested in doing word, excel or other applications, just Access. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom