Minimized Navigation Pane and form font changes display glitches (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:30
A few weeks ago I reported two display issues to the Access team that had started after the new Aptos font Office theme was released in version 2308.
I'm using the Beta version of Office (now on 2311) and at the time of reporting the issues, I was the only person to have done so.

The issues now seem to be becoming more widely noticed as others progress to v2309 or later.
The problems are:

1. When the navigation pane is minimized, the vertical text appears to be compressed or in a strange script:
1696498837781.png

Also reported in a thread at: Experts Exchange and since confirmed by another MVP.

2. Databases that used the default Calibri font (probably the vast majority), now have some command buttons changed to System font and some textboxes/labels/ combos etc changed to MS Sans Serif. In many forms, only a few controls are affected. In others like the form below, almost all control fonts get changed and the text may not fit in the space provided. For example:

1696499253343.png

Also reported at Labels text on my forms changed to MS SANS SERIF (accessforums.net); Font Changed to "System" on Buttons | Access World Forums (access-programmers.co.uk); Access Won't Use Calibri Font | Access World Forums (access-programmers.co.uk)

If you are on 2308 or later and experiencing either or both of these issues please respond below stating your Access version, build, bitness and release channel
e.g. mine is currently 365 version 2311 Build 16926.20000 Click to Run 32-bit Beta Channel as shown on my version checker (which thankfully isn't affected by this glitch)

1696499543177.png

Last edited:

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:30
Updated today to Version 2309 Build 16.0.16827.20130 32-bit Current Channel. - I see the problem with the text on the minimized Navigation Pane right away.

I haven't found any of the font issues you mentioned yet.
However, I've seen reports of the tab control font being changed to "System" on another forum.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks Philipp.
It would be helpful if you are able to post any links to the font issue that aren't in my original post.

Josef P.

Local time
I have the same issues with Microsoft® Access® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2309 Build 16.0.16827.20014) 32-bit
(also with Microsoft® Access® für Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2309 Build 16.0.16827.20130) 64 Bit )

For the font, however, this only affects Calibri for me and not the font used as standard Calibri (detail).

Access-2309-Calibri-Font.gif

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks Josef.
Very helpful video.

I pointed out in another thread that it seems to be just those controls using the 'plain' Calibri font that are affected but forgot to do so here. Good to have confirmation that my 'gut feeling' is correct! I've informed the A-team

Last edited:

Josef P.

Local time
Form exported with SaveAsText:
Code:
Begin CommandButton
                    OverlapFlags =85
                    Left =1757
                    Top =737
                    Name ="Command0"
                    Caption ="Command0"
                    GUID = Begin
                        0xa40285fbd4a01a428bd06f223a35d727
                    End

LayoutCachedLeft =1757
                    LayoutCachedTop =737
                    LayoutCachedWidth =3458
                    LayoutCachedHeight =1020
                    WebImagePaddingLeft =4
                    WebImagePaddingTop =4
                    WebImagePaddingRight =3
                    WebImagePaddingBottom =3
                End
                Begin CommandButton
                    OverlapFlags =85
                    Left =1870
                    Top =1474
                    Width =1530
                    Height =338
                    TabIndex =1
                    Name ="Command1"
                    Caption ="Command1"
                    GUID = Begin
                        0xa378b3bcbae59d478403e85648c70532
                    End

LayoutCachedLeft =1870
                    LayoutCachedTop =1474
                    LayoutCachedWidth =3400
                    LayoutCachedHeight =1812
                    ThemeFontIndex =-1            <-------
                    WebImagePaddingLeft =4
                    WebImagePaddingTop =4
                    WebImagePaddingRight =3
                    WebImagePaddingBottom =3
                End
Command0 ... button with Calibri (Detail)
Command1 ... button with Calibri => System
The difference is ThemeFontIndex =-1 (default is ThemeFontIndex =1 in form).

The problem does not depend only on Calibri but on the theme. I tested with another theme font Arial (Detail) and Arial. => same behavior.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Excellent analysis @Josef P. That was very helpful to the Access team
I can confirm that both issues have been confirmed by the Access team and are currently under investigation.

I will update this thread when I have more news

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I have been informed by the Access team that the font issue will be fixed in the next few days. The way this fix will work means you won't need to update Access, just restart it.
As I suspected, its a themes related bug.
If you can wait, do not alter any form fonts and these will be fixed automatically.
If you need to fix them manually now, change the control fonts to the Detail version of the font e.g Calibri

The less important bug in the nav pane shutter bar is still being investigated. Hopefully will be fixed soon as well

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Version 2309 Build 16.0.16827.20130 32-bit Current Channel. - I see the problem with the text on the minimized Navigation Pane right away.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks to all who have responded. No need for any further feedback unless you find additional issues not described above

I have just published an article on this topic at the Access Forever website and a very similar article on my own Isladogs On Access website.

I will update the articles & this thread when there is something new to report

P.S. @Josef P. I 'stole' two screenshots from your video for the articles. Hope you don't mind!

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
UPDATE 12 Oct 2023
Within 10 days of me first reporting the two issues, the first has already been fixed and the second will be fixed later this month.
For further details, see below. Many thanks to the Access team for a speedy response

1. Font changes for some form controls
I am pleased to report that the font issue has now been fixed.
No version update required but you will need to restart Access for the fix to be implemented.

Affected forms should revert to the original fonts provided you haven't saved the form in the meantime.
Where forms have been saved, you will need to restore the affected controls to the original font manually.

2. Nav Pane Shutter Bar Vertical Text
The nav pane shutter bar issue will be fixed in version 2310 which should be released on 23 Oct or soon after

For more details on either of the above, see my article at Two Font Display Bugs in Version 2309 (isladogs.co.uk) or Two Font Display Issues in Version 2309 (accessforever.org)

jwhittin

Local time
Many thanks for coordinating and following up on this isladogs, I'm very happy to have the right fonts back on my forms (y).

jwhittin

Local time
I've just had an update and the Nav Pane shutter bar vertical text problem is now fixed.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes, mine was fixed a couple days ago on the Beta channel.
I assume like me you are on one of the insider channels. Current channel users will get the fix next week in version 2310

jwhittin

Local time
I didn't think I was on an insider channel. On the Product Information page accessed from File | Account, "About Access" says "Current Channel" and "Microsoft 365 Insider" doesn't show me to be subscribed.

My version of Access is
Microsoft® Access® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2310 Build 16.0.16924.20054) 64-bit

Anyway, it's fixed which is the main thing! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom