Font Changed to "System" on Buttons (1 Viewer)

BlingGirl

Local time
Today, 02:23
For about a year now, I've had buttons on forms displaying the font Calibri (Detail). A few days ago, I opened the accdb file of my database, and on some forms, not all just some, the font on the buttons changed on its own from Calibri (Detail) to System. I've attached a screenshot.
At first, I thought it was on all forms, and maybe something happened with a Windows update. But there haven't been any updates since the last time I opened the database. I restored the default font settings in Windows anyway. I rebooted my computer, but it didn't resolve the problem.
So I checked the aacde copy of the front end I had made about two weeks prior. The same thing in the aacde file, the fonts are now the System font instead of Calibri. However, when I checked a copy of the same aacde file on another computer, the font was still displaying Calibri.
So now I know it's a computer issue. I've already restored the default font settings in Windows, and from what I can tell, the only thing that has been affected are these buttons in Access.
I've searched for hours and have been unsuccessful in finding anything about a font changing on its own, button font changing, changing on just a few forms, or changing to a default font named System, etc. I believe it has to be something with Windows since the buttons changed in the aacde file on one computer and stayed Calibri in a copy of that file on a different computer.
I've manually changed the font back to Calibri in the accdb file, and a few days later they are still Calibri. However, if someone knows what happened and/or how to fix it without manually changing the font on all the buttons, I'd be grateful for the help in case this happens again. I'd love to fix the actual problem.

I am using Office 365 on Windows 11, everything is up to date. No one else uses this computer, and I am the only one who accesses the accdb file.

Thanks,
Mandy

Attachments

• System Font.png
    System Font.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 73

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:23
Yes its also been happening to me recently since the change to the new system font Aptos in version 2308.
In my case, buttons changed from Calibri to the very ugly MS Sans Serif on several forms whilst others changed to System
Oddly not all buttons and not all forms were affected.

I put it down to me tinkering with the new Access client setting option below and/or reverting to A2010 on a dual install to create ACCDEs
1695715012928.png

Do either of those match what you have done?

Until now I'd not seen any other reports of this happening.
Now I have confirmation that its not only on my workstation, I will report this to the Access team.

In the meantime, I've 'fixed' it (hopefully) by resetting the default Access theme used on the affected Access databases

Last edited:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:23
I've had some controls change to Constantia (Detail). I've fixed them and sometimes they switch back again. Didn't think much of it till now.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I reported the issue with a link to this thread earlier today.
If anyone else has experienced this, please add your own experience, especially since v2308 when the new theme was introduced.

I'll pass on any feedback I get

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When something like this happens, I always wonder what kind of convoluted code logic could possibly have caused something like this. All buttons changing, OK - could happen but only some changing and to different fonts on different forms? That's just crazy land.

BlingGirl

Local time
I put it down to me ticking with the new Access client setting option below and/or reverting to A2010 on a dual install to create ACCDEs
Do either of those match what you have done?
@isladogs No, I have not done either of these two things. Thank you for reporting the issue.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@BlingGirl
I am using Access 365 Version 2310 - Build 16.0.16907.20000 32-bit – Beta Channel

For the benefit of the Access team member who will investigate this, please can you tell me which Access 365 version & bitness you are using.
You can easily get that info using my Access add-in: Access/Windows Version Check Add-In (isladogs.co.uk)

Also have you tried re-setting the fonts in your Access default theme?

BlingGirl

Local time
@isladogs
I am using: Microsoft® Access® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2309 Build 16.0.16827.20014) 64-bit

I have not tried resetting the default fonts in my default theme, but I've never changed any of the defaults.

However, I am using a custom theme in this database. While I defined the colors for the custom theme, I guess I never defined a font. When I clicked on fonts nothing was selected, so just now I selected Calibri. Perhaps that was the issue? (EDIT: I just found other forms where the font has changed, so selecting a front for the custom theme did not fix the problem. 9/27/23) It is odd they were fine for a year and then changed on their own. Seems like something had to have changed in either Windows or Access. Also, it doesn't explain that the font changed on the same buttons in the accde file on one computer but not the other.

I have unbound copies of the different types of forms in my database. To keep forms consistent I copy the unbound form, add a record source, and make adjustments. I also have a "formatting form" that I used/use when creating new forms. It contains already formatted buttons, labels, headers, text boxes, etc. When creating a new form, I open my "formatting form" and copy and paste the contols. I do this to save time and keep forms consistent. The font did not change on the unbound forms, my "formatting form", or other forms that have buttons copied from that form.

@Pat Hartman As to your theory of convoluted code logic. I have not used code to change anything with fonts on these forms.
The buttons either open another form or export or save a report. I've attached screenshots of the code from one of the forms. Perhaps you can see something I've missed.

As I grabbed the screenshots it occurred to me that the only forms this happened to are my "menu" forms. These are unbound forms that have buttons only, hmmm... but I have other unbound forms with buttons only that it didn't happen to... (EDIT: This is not correct, I just found some other forms where the font has changed and they have more than buttons. 9/27/23)

Attachments

• Form Code 1.png
    Form Code 1.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Form Code 2.png
    Form Code 2.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

BlingGirl

Local time
@isladogs
I checked the other computer that had a copy of the aacde file where the font did not change.
The version on that computer is: Microsoft® Access® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2308 Build 16.0.16731.20182) 64-bit

My computer is using Version 2309 and the fonts changed. The other computer is using Version 2308 and the fonts did not change.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As to your theory of convoluted code logic. I have not used code to change anything with fonts on these forms.
The buttons either open another form or export or save a report. I've attached screenshots of the code from one of the forms. Perhaps you can see something I've missed.
I wasn't referring to your code. I was referring to the code written by MS that runs behind the scenes to render the buttons. If all the buttons changed to the same wrong font, that would be a bug in the code but a rational one. When only some buttons change, that is irrational.

BlingGirl

Local time
I wasn't referring to your code. I was referring to the code written by MS that runs behind the scenes to render the buttons. If all the buttons changed to the same wrong font, that would be a bug in the code but a rational one. When only some buttons change, that is irrational.
That makes sense.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks for the version info. I'll let you know when I hear back from the Access team

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:23
Found the article I remembered.

I'll let the curious among you read it, but basically it was affected by an ownership problem. MS owned it but didn't release it for general use. There is more detail in the article. Apparently, MS has more than one red-headed stepchild. Which is why Access is PERFECT for use with Calibri.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I've read the article and agree with many of the points made about Calibri as a font.

However, nothing in that article has anything to do with the issue raised here by the OP or in the subsequent parallel thread linked in post #13.
The problem they describe (which I had already reported to MS) has only occurred since the new Office theme based on Aptos was released.

There are three variants of Calibri: Detail/Light and plain Calibri.
I THINK the fonts get changed only when originally they were the plain Calibri variant but need to confirm that with more testing.
Either way, its now being looked into by the A-team

Last edited:

MagicIT

Local time
I have the same issue on 2309 on x32 today. First reported by the client who presumably was also upgraded, also on x32

My PC was on 2308 and had no issues, but when I updated today to 2309 items that were set to "Calibri" as opposed to Detail or Header, altered to MS Sans Serif.

MagicIT

Local time
There also appears to be issues elsewhere as I have this on the closed Shutter bar (I hadn't even realised they called it that - I still thought it was the database window - or even Navigation Pane as it refers to it in Options).

1696514686525.png

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm seeing the shutter bar issue:

Microsoft® Access® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2309 Build 16.0.16827.20150) 32-bit

jwhittin

Local time
+1 to Calibri changing to MS Sans Serif in some forms (but not all, can't work out a pattern), inability to change font from MS Sans Serif other than one field at a time (ie change one field, save and close form), and the shutter bar issue.

Microsoft® Access® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2309 Build 16.0.16827.20150) 64-bit

But one thing happened to me that I haven't seen reported. I first encountered this problem a couple of weeks ago, then did a repair, first a Quick Repair which did nothing, then an Online repair which actually uninstalled Office. On reinstalling Office, the problem was gone, only to reappear again the day before yesterday.

For me, the shutter bar is the giveaway, once I see that I know I've got the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom