MS Access - Compatibility with Microsoft Power Automate (Microsoft Flows)? (1 Viewer)

diannebcgray

Local time
Today, 04:35
Hi,

Is there some compatibility between MS Access and Microsoft Power Automate? For example, creating a new project in Access that triggers an e-mail? My best guess is no, due to Access' local architecture and Power Automate's cloud architecture, but I still thought it is worth asking. (I am looking at free alternatives to the SendObject method that are viable, since that method creates warning messages that a program is trying to send e-mails. I'm trying to find the easiest, safest, and most practical solution to prevent the user from having to see that warning message for a workplace LAN where something additional doesn't need to be installed on 20+ computers).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:35
It is a general rule within Windows that any attempt to trigger a network action from a non-trusted folder will cause some kind of alert. You might look into CDO (Collaboration Data Object) as a way to send simple messages. It is a way to trigger SMTP without going through Outlook. You can attach things because that ability is part of SMTP, not exclusive to Outlook. Some of the other aspects of Outlook - like to-do lists and calendars and address books and named mailing lists - aren't there. It's just a mail-only interface.

I recall being able to send mail with CDO. It allowed multi-recipient lists if built manually. I cannot remember at the moment whether I had to go through Trust Center to trust the folder in question or whether it was enough to just trust the code the first time a new version would run. It was at least six years ago and I don't own the code (never did) so don't have a copy of it. Note also that depending on your environment, it is possible that your IT staff may have a blocking filter on your SMTP Gateway server that doesn't expect Access to be sending direct SMTP.

diannebcgray

Local time
It is a general rule within Windows that any attempt to trigger a network action from a non-trusted folder will cause some kind of alert. You might look into CDO (Collaboration Data Object) as a way to send simple messages. It is a way to trigger SMTP without going through Outlook. You can attach things because that ability is part of SMTP, not exclusive to Outlook. Some of the other aspects of Outlook - like to-do lists and calendars and address books and named mailing lists - aren't there. It's just a mail-only interface.

I recall being able to send mail with CDO. It allowed multi-recipient lists if built manually. I cannot remember at the moment whether I had to go through Trust Center to trust the folder in question or whether it was enough to just trust the code the first time a new version would run. It was at least six years ago and I don't own the code (never did) so don't have a copy of it. Note also that depending on your environment, it is possible that your IT staff may have a blocking filter on your SMTP Gateway server that doesn't expect Access to be sending direct SMTP.
That sounds like a possible alternative, although I have read that the CDO method is old and there's a chance Microsoft might stop supporting it. Thoughts?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:35
1. There is a free desktop version of Power Automate and, although I've not tried, it should be able to run Access apps in a similar way to Task Scheduler.

2. Although CDO is old, it still works fine even with GMail's higher levels of security. It remains my main method of sending emails from Access.
Other than in forum posts, I've never seen any indication that CDO is about to be deprecated. I may be wrong but I think that's just another unfounded rumour doing the rounds. Just like the perpetual and unfounded rumour that MS are about to kill off Access. They aren't!

diannebcgray

Local time
1. There is a free desktop version of Power Automate and, although I've not tried, it should be able to run Access apps in a similar way to Task Scheduler.

2. Although CDO is old, it still works fine even with GMail's higher levels of security. It remains my main method of sending emails from Access.
Other than in forum posts, I've never seen any indication that CDO is about to be deprecated. I may be wrong but I think that's just another unfounded rumour doing the rounds. Just like the perpetual and unfounded rumour that MS are about to kill off Access. They aren't!
Great, thank you so much for the info! This really helps. I guess the problem with using desktop Power Automate is that every computer using the database would have to have it installed for it to send e-mails on the database's behalf, correct?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:35
As already mentioned, I've done very little with Power Automate Desktop but I would also assume each user would need it.
However, its now available free to all Win10 users and I think it is now included by default.

i don't use it for email as CDO works fine for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom