Need to Sum 2 seperate columns (1 Viewer)

myrock

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:42
I'm trying to show how many people have taken 1 of two courses. If the person has taken "PDI" it has a 1 in the PDI column. If the person has talken "LDRN" it has a 1 in that column on the report. I need a caluculation that shows how many have taken either "PDI" OR "LDRN". So if 3 people in the department took "PDI" and 2 took "LDRN", the answer at the bottom that I want to display is 5. There are other classes that I show seperately, using a SUM there without a problem. Here I can't show each column total, I must show a total of both columns. I don't know how to SUM both columns. All advice is welcome. Thanks.

Tom

adz2013

Registered User.
Local time
Try =Sum(PDI)+Sum(PDRN) in a field at the bottom. or make two text boxes at the bottom and add PDI and PDRN seperatly. Then make them invisable and make a third text box and use =Sum(PDI)+Sum(PDRN). Give that a shot.

myrock

Registered User.
Local time
adz2013, Thanks for the tip, making progress here. Still 1 problem though. I tried both of your techniques and the results are the same....if i have at least 1 person who took PDI, then I get the proper total for both columns. But if no one took PDI, the sum for PDI is blank (which is correct) as well as the sum of the total of PDI and LDRN (which is incorrect)even though I always get the correct number displayed for LDRN...ie... 1 PDI and 9 LDRN i do show the 10 but 0 PDI and 9 LDRN i show blank (again regardless of which of your two tecniques I used)....can u help me?

Thanks.

Tom

myrock

Registered User.
Local time
adz2013, Thanks for the tip, making progress here. Still 1 problem though. I tried both of your techniques and the results are the same....if i have at least 1 person who took PDI, then I get the proper total for both columns. But if no one took PDI, the sum for PDI is blank (which is correct) as well as the sum of the total of PDI and LDRN (which is incorrect)even though I always get the correct number displayed for LDRN...ie... 1 PDI and 9 LDRN i do show the 10 but 0 PDI and 9 LDRN i show blank (again regardless of which of your two tecniques I used)....can u help me?

Thanks.

Tom

myrock

Registered User.
Local time
adz2013,

Scratch my last question, I found that if there weren't any PDI's the value was null, i changed it to 0 and now all is working well. Thank you very much for your help.

Tom

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Today, 04:42
Look up the Nz function as well, it may help you in the future.

Good luck,
David R

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom