Odd security issue (1 Viewer)

Malcy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:45
I need to explore a secured db for a new client where previous arrangement had gone sour. They have password for the main db and this gets me in. If I do not hold down the shift key then I get a form that says db is locked but holding shift key gives me full access to the db.
I am exploring using ACC2007 but I think it is ACC2000 format.
The db was set to open on the locked form so I have set it to simply open and I have disabled all the code on the locked form. I have also renamed the AutoExec macro to Disabled.
Working through the Access Options button I can see nothing else but if I click on the security warning to enable content it opens up the locked form, closes down the menu bar, disallows access to tables and only gives me the close database option.
Can anyone explain where I might find what is doing this? I have checked the vba and there is nothing there; I have also hunted for the bit where in ACC2003 you could hide tables etc but cannot find anything in ACC2007 that might do this.
I can work around but it would be very helpful to understand what is happening since there may be more going on than I think - I am working on an off site copy so there is no danger of any data corruption causing problems.
Any help or pointers would be very much appreciated.
Best wishes

Malcy

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
1. Access 2007 displays the database window differently - try pressing F11 - you should get a pane on the left hand side.

2. The database is probably protected by access security in some way, and maybe you are not linked to the correct .mdw file.

You may be able to do this.

Create a blank unsecured dbs.

Get into the database by holding down shift, as you are doing.

THen try and export all the objects into the new dbs - this may well give you an unsecured version of the database.

Malcy

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks gemma-the-husky
My concern is not so much how I can get in, but how can I identify where the code is that is affecting the startup. I thought that by disabling the AutoExec macro and also by "neutralising" the startup form I should have got rid, so I think you must be right about the Access security file.
I am getting a CD tonight with the full server installation folder so I can put it on my system and see if I can find out what is going on.
All best wishes

Malcolm

Insane_ai

Not Really an A.I.
Local time
Today, 03:45
Click the office button.
Click the Current Database menu item on the left.
On the right, there is a display form combo box. change this to edit the startup.

This used to be accessed by navigating Tools | Startup | Display Form / Page

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom