Open File using VBA (1 Viewer)

smh101

Local time
Today, 20:32
Hello There!

Was wondering if anyone can help out a novice on access.

I am trying to create a basic code where I can browse my local network to locate a file and then import it into a table I have already created.

I would also like to be able to export a number of tables in my database automatically using VB code.

Any help would be very much appreciated! :)

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Today, 14:32
To browse a directory, you need a FileDialog object. In the VBA code window, go to References and add the MS Office Object Library. It will be named like this:

Microsoft Office [Version_Number] Object Library

If you don't have a reference to the Office Object Library, you will not be able to DIM an object as a FileDialog.

From there you need to instantiate the dialog, like this:

Code:
Sub BrowsingWindow()

Dim Dlg As FileDialog
    Dim txtFilePath As String

Set Dlg = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
    With Dlg
        .Title = "Select the file you want to import"
        .AllowMultiSelect = False
        If .Show = -1 Then
            txtFilePath = .InitialFileName
        Else
            Exit Sub
        End If
    End With

End Sub

The FileDialog object has a lot of properties that you can look up in Access help. For a quick reference, the "Show = -1" means the user clicked OK in the dialog, and the ".InitialFilename" is the filename that was selected.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:32
Please don't multi-post the same question in two different places. As you are a novice, we can forgive you - but it is bad manners in this particular forum because it represents a waste of time.

[]v[]|2 2

Local time
Today, 12:32
Moniker said:
To browse a directory, you need a FileDialog object. In the VBA code window, go to References and add the MS Office Object Library. It will be named like this:

Microsoft Office [Version_Number] Object Library

If you don't have a reference to the Office Object Library, you will not be able to DIM an object as a FileDialog.

From there you need to instantiate the dialog, like this:

Code:
Sub BrowsingWindow()

Dim Dlg As FileDialog
    Dim txtFilePath As String

Set Dlg = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
    With Dlg
        .Title = "Select the file you want to import"
        .AllowMultiSelect = False
        If .Show = -1 Then
            txtFilePath = .InitialFileName
        Else
            Exit Sub
        End If
    End With

End Sub

The FileDialog object has a lot of properties that you can look up in Access help. For a quick reference, the "Show = -1" means the user clicked OK in the dialog, and the ".InitialFilename" is the filename that was selected.
Hi i tried the code from above but when the function is executed an error occurs: Method or Data member not found

It's referring to the Application.FileDialog(..) command, Application. works fine, but it can't find the FileDialog method.

Help?

pungentSapling

NeedHotSauce?
Local time
Today, 15:32
Same problem

I too am having the same problem. I have the reference library check (office 10) and have tried several bits of code but alway come back with the same problem. Any comments?

pungentSapling

NeedHotSauce?
Local time
Today, 15:32
File look up

I tried your suggested code and get a similar response to the previous method. I think it might have to do with the reference library, but in both cases, I have selected the required reference library and still does not work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom