Passing recordset in OpenArgs (1 Viewer)

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:37
There is very little to explain. A pointer is the address of the Object it is not the Object itself. When we put an address of a house on an envelope we are writing a pointer to the house, we are not putting the house on the envelope.

When we appear to be passing an Object we are not passing the Object at all but passing a pointer to the Object. All the talk about OOP is wasted on me if the people doing the talking don’t know the difference between an Object and a pointer to that Object.

Chris.
I'm not talking about the theoretics of objects and pointers. I'm saying if I can do what you've done in one line of code, what's the benefit of what you presented over the one-liner? And the reference to OOP was to mdlueck, not to any of your posts.

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:37
>>I'm saying if I can do what you've done in one line of code, what's the benefit of what you presented over the one-liner?<<

You have not passed an Object, or a Pointer to an Object, through OpenArgs in one line of code.
In fact you have not shown any code at all.

Your method does not comply with the requirements as set out in post #1.
Your method is a workaround because you did not know how to comply with the requirement of post #1.
You now know, or should know, how to comply with that requirement.

You have learnt something new and it cost you nothing.
Why should you continue to raise questions that only create more work for me to explain?

Of course an argument can be ‘passed’ as a Global, in fact we could ‘pass’ all arguments as Globals, but we don’t.
Why don’t we? If that was sufficient then why did Microsoft invent OpenArgs in the first place?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
It's a trivial example, hence, I don't need to show any code. I'm not claiming to have passed the object through OpenArgs either.

What I proposed is a workaround yes and yours is also a workaround. How will your function cope if you were also passing a Long value? How do you differentiate between a Long value and a Long memory address? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not discrediting your proposition because it will be useful for something like deep cloning of an object but to say that it satisfies the requirement, that I disagree with. At the end of the day, that's up to the OP to decide.

Thanks but I haven't learnt anything new on this occasion.

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
>>At the end of the day, that's up to the OP to decide.<<

No it’s not. At the end of the day it’s up to the people who try it and want to use it.
Have you tried it? If so, did it satisfy your needs? If not then what are you talking about?

If you tried it and it did not satisfy your needs then I would be prepared to look at the problem. I did that with tehNellie because his criticism was both valid and helpful. But I’m not going to waist my time simply talking about the smoke and mirrors you are raising. If you have something valid and provable to show then show it and I will try to help you.

But stop trying to raise unsubstantiated objections in the minds of others. That behaviour is destructive and may lead people to think that that is your sole intension.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
The point is you have presented a workaround, but you refuse to accept that.

How about answering this?
How will your function cope if you were also passing a Long value? How do you differentiate between a Long value and a Long memory address?

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
>>How will your function cope if you were also passing a Long value? How do you differentiate between a Long value and a Long memory address?<<

That question alone shows your deplorable lack of knowledge on the subject. It also shows why some people rely on words in their replies and not provable code. Words can be denied as in; ‘oh I didn’t mean that’ or ‘that is just a typo’, or ‘now you’re being pedantic’ or ‘blah, blah, blah’, deny, deny, deny.

There is not a function, there are two functions. One sends and one receives.

The functions (plural) are designed to handle the conversion between Objects and a pointer to that Object and for your education a Long is not an Object.

The difference between a Long value and a Long memory address is purely imaginary.
They are both 32 bits of binary information and that’s it…period.
If the programmer wishes to use it as a Long value they can.
If the programmer wishes to use it as an Address they can.
There is no difference between a Long value and a memory Address.
It’s up to the intelligent programmer to use them in an intelligent way.

If you’re Googling for your information, as supplied in this thread, I suggest you stop it.
‘Deep cloning of an object’, what a load of crap; you don’t even understand the difference between imaginary and real.

You are being destructive with your continued comments in this thread.
Your words are also bringing your abilities into question.

Stop simply talking and start producing something real.

I’ve done my bit and it works; where’s yours?

Chris.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Never mind Chris. There's no point trying to clarify my points now since you've started making insultive and snide remarks. You have absolutely no idea what I know and I what I don't know. Case closed.

kewdos

Local time
ChrisO - realise this is an old thread, but thanks for your post. A very neat way to pass an object to a form using OpenArgs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom