Piano (3 Viewers)

Tasslehoff

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:12
Okay, so I just bought a $400 keyboard yesterday to force myself to finally learn piano. I've never played before, but after hours of work I have the first twenty seconds of the right hand score of Chopin's Nocturne Op.9-2 down pat. :rolleyes:

So tell me, does anyone here play piano? For how long? And what's your favorite piano piece?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 09:12
I play a bit. I don't read music.

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, but sounds better played more slowly than it should be, it can be quite creepy if done right.

The middle 8 of Jerry Lee Lewis's "Great Balls of Fire" and "Whole Lot of Shakin'

I prefer to play the bass or Strat

Col

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
My two cents: (I'm a guitar player that plays piano:) and I used to sell them)

1. Digital keys are great, but playing piano is different from playing keyboards so weighted is better once you are used to the basics.
  2. No one ever learns to do something wrong and then takes the time to learn to do it right, so even though it may take longer out of the gate, learn to read the music and understand the theory behind it instead of playing by ear. Playing by ear is individual and is a good talent to have, but it will expand exponentially if you actually understand what you're doing:D
  3. Classical is a great place to start, it teaches both theory and discipline. After you are comfortable, don't forget to expand into jazz theory, you'll be surprised at how much unfolds.
  4. Of course, lessons are good, but only if you are comfortable with the teacher... it should always be fun. Ask around at the local music shops
  5. The better the instrument sounds, the better you perceive your performance...don't ignore the maintenance

Tasslehoff

Registered User.
Local time
I researched the keyboard I have before I bought it, and people said that for its price it was really good. It's supposed to have a weighted keyboard just like a real piano. (It's a Casio PX-100, have I been misled? Probably, but I like it well enough)

My family owns a piano, so I can always go to that to see the difference between the real thing and the keyboard. I don't use it because it can't stay in tune (there is a crack in some board) and because it would cause such a ruccus in the house. :D

I'm learning the nocturne first because that's all the musical score I have in the house as of yet, and I can't get a tutor because I am now nearly bankrupt and I live in the middle of nowhere. :( I think I'll end up getting a dvd or software.

Anyways, I definetly think I'll get into jazz piano--I like Art Tatum's "Jitterbug Waltz" very much, but I'm a LONG way off :eek: . Also, a keyboard should be fun because I can make the keys make all these wacky sounds :D ...I think...:confused:

Eventually I wan't to start playing music from Final Fantasy video games (it's surprisingly good stuff for a game).

Thanks for the input!

PS- I almost bought a guitar instead, as you can play it at parties and girls fall all over you. Really strange, how that works...I have a cousin who lied to a girl and said he could play guitar, and she slept with him just like that. (The next morning must have been hilarious when she found out the truth :) ) But piano has some of the absolute best music for any intrument.

Last edited:

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Tasslehoff said:
PS- I almost bought a guitar instead, as you can play it at parties and girls fall all over you. Really strange, how that works..
The guitar works when you're on a stage, in the spotlight, making it speak for all you're worth, but for a more intimate party, the one making the grand piano speak does not go home alone :D

I suggest that you learn both...sometimes you need all the help you can get:rolleyes: :D

Tasslehoff

Registered User.
Local time
Bodisathva said:
The guitar works when you're on a stage, in the spotlight, making it speak for all you're worth, but for a more intimate party, the one making the grand piano speak does not go home alone :D

I suggest that you learn both...sometimes you need all the help you can get:rolleyes: :D

Hehe, good point. However, the following equation keeps that from happening
DRUNK COLLEGE GUYS + PIANO = BROKEN PIANO :(

Hmmm....but maybe I could lure girls back to the music building for a while...yes, my evil plan is taking shape! Mwuuhahahahahah! Oh wait, I have to learn how to play, first....damn.

:D

selenau837

Can still see y'all......
Local time
Way to go Tas!! I myself prefer to stick with my flute. :D

selenau837

Local time
Rich said:
Is that because it's phallic? :eek: :p

'This one time at band camp!'.

Actually, I love the sound of a flute. I played one for over 13 yrs.

R

Rich

selenau837 said:
Actually, I love the sound of a flute. I played one for over 13 yrs.

Do you still play ?
I never even learnt how to blow my own trumpet;) :D

selenau837

Local time
Rich said:
Do you still play ?
I never even learnt how to blow my own trumpet;) :D

Sadly no :( . I'm sure I could pick it up again. Just like ridding a bicycle.

R

Rich

selenau837 said:
Sadly no :( . I'm sure I could pick it up again. Just like ridding a bicycle.
Well yes but then don't forget, just like riding a bike when you get older, you run out of breath quicker:eek: :D

selenau837

Local time
Rich said:
Well yes but then don't forget, just like riding a bike when you get older, you run out of breath quicker:eek: :D

Yes, but I'm still young. I've got good lung compasity.

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
I think he means are they still where they were when you were 20.... lol

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:12
Tasslehoff said:
PS- I almost bought a guitar instead, as you can play it at parties and girls fall all over you. Really strange, how that works...
My wife and I met because I play the guitar. She wanted me to hear me play a song that she liked. Her friend had told her that I know how to play it and introduced us.
:cool:

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 10:12
Tasslehoff said:
So tell me, does anyone here play piano? For how long? And what's your favorite piano piece?

I started playing the piano as a young kid , got some lessons, which I found boring, so I learned myself to play tunes just from hearing.
In those days I tried to copy everything I liked from boogie woogie to Rachmaninoff in my own simple manner.
Gradually I learned to improvise on various themes and my preference is
jazz. Players and compositions I fancy the most are Michell Camillo ( latin Jazz), Kenny Kirkland ( the late master of improvisions) and the dutch Michiel Borstlap.

One of these days I will set up a website and let you guys hear what I play nowadays. ( I promised that to Barry and Col ). ;)

R

Rich

selenau837 said:
Hmmm, not sure I should take that. :eek:
poor bloody men! there we are paying you what appears to be a compliment and..........
devil you win, devil you loose:eek:
your ankles look good too by the way;)

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Just to let you know how much of a geek I am, when I read that you had purchased a $400 keyboard, my first thought was, "There's a special, really expensive computer keyboard that helps you learn to play piano????"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom