Pipe Delimeted Export won't show field headings (1 Viewer)

Ziggy1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:36
I'm trying to create a "Pipe" delimited text file using the Transfertext method. what I have done so far is I Exported as a standard "Export Delimited" which creates a CSV. I then used a text editor and Replaced the Comma's (CTRL+H) with the Pipe | .... and also replaced the Quotes with nothing.

I then imported manually back into Access and created a spec file using the Advanced button and also specifying the "pipe" as the delimiter, and also checked of first row as heading...saved the spec and then when back to my code and chose the Spec...when I run the code it exports the records with out the heading??? is this a glitch or am I doing something wrong? I have redone the spec several times to make sure I did not do it wrong. Do you know where I can go to actually view the schema?

DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "PUROExport", "qryPuroESS-ConnectFile", ExpPath & ExFile, True, ""

thanks

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
You seem to have missed a step out. When you go to Export and select txt type files. Then choose delimited then Advanced you are offered a delimiter type, the combo box does not offer you the pipe symbol but you can still enter it. Next save you spec , not forgetting to tick that the first row contains field headings.

David

Ziggy1

Registered User.
Local time
You seem to have missed a step out. When you go to Export and select txt type files. Then choose delimited then Advanced you are offered a delimiter type, the combo box does not offer you the pipe symbol but you can still enter it. Next save you spec , not forgetting to tick that the first row contains field headings.

David

I don't follow you...sounds like you are describing the Macro screen and then the Import wizard...I did specify PIPE in the Wizard and include headings?

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
See attachment to explain what I mean. If you have followed these steps then something else is causing the problem

Attachments

• InfoDoc.doc
    86.5 KB · Views: 134

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Export csv, compared with Import csv is very strange (up to A2003 at least)

You dont seem to get quite the same control over fields, header rows, separators, and field formats, as you do with imports. You even seem to get issues trying to use an import spec, for an export.

I have taken to not using the wizard, and just writing text files directly, to get the control I need.

Ziggy1

Registered User.
Local time
ok, I see you have "Export wizard" how do i bring that up? I can only get the Import wizard?

forgot to say I have Access 2007

Ziggy1

Registered User.
Local time
I attached screen shots of the steps I took, DCrake attachment suggest an "EXPORT" wizard, I don't see how to activate that, I can only bing up as an IMPORT wizard, If I choose to manually Export from the menu, there is no wizard..at least not in Acc2007?

Attachments

• ScreenShot_288.jpg
    ScreenShot_288.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 123
  • ScreenShot_289.jpg
    ScreenShot_289.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 100
  • ScreenShot_290.jpg
    ScreenShot_290.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 103

Ziggy1

Registered User.
Local time
Export csv, compared with Import csv is very strange (up to A2003 at least)

You dont seem to get quite the same control over fields, header rows, separators, and field formats, as you do with imports. You even seem to get issues trying to use an import spec, for an export.

I have taken to not using the wizard, and just writing text files directly, to get the control I need.

Please explain how you do it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom