Pop Up and Modal property of a form (1 Viewer)

moi

Local time
Today, 21:57
Hello all,

What are these properties (pop up & modal) do to my form if set to yes / no?.

Thank you..

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:57
Did you try?

Popup makes sure form or report is above other objects. Modal is above and prevents clicking onto other open objects.

Reactions: moi

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:57
Modal dialogs cannot be abandoned; i.e. if you have a modal message box, you can't do anything else until you select one of the box's options.

moi

Local time
Did you try?

Popup makes sure form or report is above other objects. Modal is above and prevents clicking onto other open objects.
Can i set both to a form?.

moi

Local time
Modal dialogs cannot be abandoned; i.e. if you have a modal message box, you can't do anything else until you select one of the box's options.
Thanks the-doc-man, is it good if set both to yes?.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Setting as popup allows form to sit above the application window. Without popup form can be moved but it will be within the window. Do some experimenting. Keep in mind that popup and modal can be a bit annoying when developing and debugging database. Suggest not setting until ready to distribute to users.

moi

Local time
Setting as popup allows form to sit above the application window. Without popup form can be moved but it will be within the window. Do some experimenting. Keep in mind that popup and modal can be a bit annoying when developing and debugging database. Suggest not setting until ready to distribute to users.
Many thanks sir..

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:57
Correction:
Unlike popup forms, modal forms are part of the application interface. They do not appear above other interface objects unless they are also popups

@moi
There is also a third option acDialog which is only available in code
DoCmd.OpenForm "YourFormName", , , , , acDialog
When this is used, it prevents all other code running until the form is closed

Last edited:

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
I tested a form set as Popup No and Modal Yes. Form opens over other form and cannot click on other form.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You obviously can't click on the other form as its modal. That means it remains the active form.
Whilst its the active form it appears at the top of the z-order.
However it is part of the application interface and doesn't have the same properties as a popup.
Drag it to the left and it goes under the nav pane. Ditto if moved up to the ribbon.
Popups move over the NP or ribbon etc

Last edited:

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Correction:
Unlike popup forms, modal forms are part of the application interface. They do not appear above other interface objects unless they are also popups
My db is set for Overlapping Windows, not Tabbed Documents. Popup Yes would be required for form to open over other objects for Tabbed Documents. For Overlapping Windows, even Modal alone opens over other objects.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I use Overlapping Windows. I was trying to clarify the difference between modal (part of the application interface) and popup (separate from it)
Try opening a popup form followed by a modal form.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:57
I never (ok, sometimes) allow multiple forms to be open at the same time. I use Overlapping Windows and when one form opens, the form that opened it hides itself. Then the open form, when it closes, opens the form that called it by using the form name passed in the OpenArgs property. So, none of them ever have to open as modal or popup. In the instances where I actually want a popup to be open at the same time as the form that called it, I use the acDialog property. That stops the code in the calling form while the popup does its thing. Then when the popup closes, the code resumes on the line after the DoCmd.Open form which now allows me to refresh the calling form so the change made by the popup will show if in fact the job of the popup was to modify a record. A common example is a form with a subform. The subform is in DS view and doesn't show all the fields. Occasionally, the user will need to view the hidden fields and/or modify the data. The popup in acDialog mode solves the problem nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom