Rich said:
So how much does your brain weigh?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 15:07
Rich said:
Irrelevant and please don't post the same question twice

Well the relevant part of it is this. Since you’re going to be obtuse; I guess I’ll have to spell it out for you.

If you can formulate thought in that feeble carbon based, mostly empty space, filled with water head of yours, then one can only imagine what kind of entity lived in the pure mass and energy of the prier big bang.

We’ve had this discussion before; I think someone would have a serious lack of imagination, to not be able to concede at least the possibility of that existence.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
If you can formulate thought in that feeble carbon based, mostly empty space, filled with water head of yours, then one can only imagine what kind of entity lived in the pure mass and energy of the prier big bang.

I've had numerous big bangs jose, which one did you have in mind?

seth_belgium

WoW-Addict
Local time
Today, 21:07
I realise this is leading us extremely far away off-topic, but what the hell...

Forget about me being a zealot (thanks for learning me a new word in English btw ;)), I do respect other people's beliefs. But what I do like to do is to debate with people who believe in God. It's just such a fascinating matter.

The thing with a God-person, or God-like entity, that I don't understand is this:
How can 1 person/being/entity/... create the entire universe (if there is only one, even that isn't sure) with it's billions and billions of galaxies, even more stars in it, countless planets, and at least one of those planets inhabited with countless billions of life-forms.

How did he do it, and why? For his amusement? Because he was bored?

I cannot grasp the fact. The scientist in me just cannot grasp that...

What do I think has caused this? I have to support Rich on this one, I do believe in the Big Bang. For me this means: An infinite amount of matter, pulled together by it's gigantic mass to an infinitely small amount of space (i.e. black holes) exploded in a never-before seen burst of pure energy. Out of that primal energy the first stars formed, rocks colliding with each other formed the first planets. This went on for billions of years.

Then, by pure coincidence, a fluke of nature let's say, one of those planets formed in an orbit around a young star called Sol. The conditions on this planet turned out to be ideal for life to develop. At first as a fragile, very simple organism in the oceans. Later after millions of years of evolution life moved to the land on that planet we call Earth. The rest of the story we know I think...

So that's why I'm having difficulties to believe in a God... In my opinion, religion was created by humans to explain the things they couldn't understand, like thunder, lightning, fire, death, and so on. Later, religion was abused by people with power to control the masses. They started making commandments, laws as you might call them (thy shalt not...).

Everyone is free to believe what they want. But this is my belief. One thing is for sure, when we die, we'll know the answer and know who was right! ;)

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
I'm a big fan of Joseph Cambell he did a series on PBS

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Do I come across as a "she?"

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 20:07
What does it matter / who cares how the universe was created? no-ones going to know for sure so its an unanswerable question.:rolleyes:

Surely, it would be better to focus on the problems currently besetting mankind.

Col

skea

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:07
Which kind of telescope could that be?

Bat17

Registered User.
Local time
: An infinite amount of matter, pulled together by it's gigantic mass to an infinitely small amount of space (i.e. black holes) exploded in a never-before seen burst of pure energy.
Surley this had to be a finite amount of matter or the would have been no space? and it still begs the question of where the initial matter comes from? spontaneous creation from nothing?

Peter

R

Rich

Bat17 said:
it still begs the question of where the initial matter comes from? spontaneous creation from nothing?

Peter
using the same criteria, where then did God come from?:confused:

KenHigg

Local time
Four Religious Truths:

1. Muslims do not recognize Jews as God's chosen people.

2. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.

3. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the
Christian World.

4. Baptists do not recognize each other at Hooters.

:cool: :)

Bat17

Registered User.
Local time
each are beyond proof but "Spontaneous Creation" is more scientific the "Godly Creation" :)

Peter

R

Rich

Bat17 said:
each are beyond proof but "Spontaneous Creation" is more scientific the "Godly Creation" :)

Peter
but spontaneous creation can be seen and thus proven

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom