Populate Multiple Tables at once (1 Viewer)

Prayder

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:19
I am wanting to use a master table to add a piece of equipment to and when I add that piece of equipment in the master table I want it to populate in multiple other tables as well. Is that possible?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
You've posted this in the Table forum, so I must assume you want to directly enter your data into a table and then have that data be feed to other tables. The answer is no...

However, you could accomplish this with a form. You would build a form to interact with a table, then whenever a certain action takes place (a field is submitted, a button is clicked), it could trigger what you want to occur...

However, this whole idea gives off a whifff of poorly structured tables. Can you further explain your data and what you are trying to accomplish? What tables are involved?

Prayder

Registered User.
Local time
I have a table called tblEquipMaster. This table has one column and it holds all the equipment IDs for our equipment. Some of these pieces of equipment use some of the same parts... so I thought I would create one table for each item like one table for motors, one for belts, one for bearings, etc. And in each of those tables one of the columns would be the equipment ID. So that each time I add a new equipID in the master table... it would add that equipID to each of the other tables...hope that makes sense?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Some of these pieces of equipment use some of the same parts...in each of those tables one of the columns would be the equipment ID.

That doesn't make sense. You shouldn't store 1 equipment ID with a motor, if that motor could go to multiple equipmentIDs.

Can an equipmentID have more than one motor? more than one belt? more than 1 etc? Is the relationship between a part and equipment 1 to many or many to many?

Also, what do all these part tables look like? Can you give me the fields of them--are they all the same fields, just differently named?

Prayder

Registered User.
Local time
Basically we have numerous pieces of equipment that use a specific motor or belt or bearing... but that part is also used in other pieces of equipment not just that one piece of equipment. I have linked what I have so far. The columns labeled with the ID are the actual pieces of equipment...

Attachments

• Boiler Room Equipment.accdb
    660 KB · Views: 96

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
I'm getting lost in jargon, especially differentiating what a part is and what a piece of equipment is. And if a motor/bearing/belt is a part/piece of equipment.

Even with that hindering me, I don't think you have enough tables. Or your relationships are at least wrong. You have 41 pieces of equipment (tblequipmaster). Let's say you have 5 unique motors, but every piece of equipment has one and only one motor. You should then have 5 records in your motor table and then in tblequipmaster you would have a MotorID field that stores the ID attached to each motor. If a piece of equipment could have more than 1 motor, then that would require yet a new table (EquipmentMotors) where you would assign which MotorIDs go to which EquipmentIDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom