Problems after Office 2010 SP1 (1 Viewer)

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:24
It seems like after installing SP1 for Office 2010, I am experiencing VBA problems on several Access 2010 32 bit databases. They manifest themselves as either Access crashes when VBA code is run and I have to decompile it and then recompile it or the VBA code doesn't remain compiled. If I compile it, then reopen the VBA editor, it shows that it is complied. If I close the db and then reopen it, the editor shows the code as uncompiled. I never experienced either of these before SP1. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?
Chuck

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:24
Well, you have already tried Decompile so the only other suggestion is to uninstall SP1. Unfortunately, this issue is popping up all over the place and not sure why it's fine for some (like me) and not fine for others.

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
Gina, Thanks. Well, I removed SP1, ran Windows Updates to get current, (except for SP1), and I still have the same issue. My db will remain compiled as long as I don't exit from Access but if I exit and then restart the db, the VBA code is in an uncompiled state. How do I keep the code compiled?

SmallTime

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:24
Hi
I had the very same problem with VBA corruption

I eventually repaired office from control panel - Add Remove Programs, loaded a known good Backup and every thing returned to normal. (wasted 3 days and am now completely bald)

Hope it works for you

SmallTime

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
Hi, well I was bald before the problem started. Yesterday I uninstalled Office, reinstalled it and then installed SP1. Today I uninstalled SP1 and ran updates. I guess I could uninstall Office again, reinstall it, run updates and NOT install SP1. I guess your response was that Office was in trouble and your db application was fine. Is that right?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
@chuckcoleman,

Try importing everything into a clean, newly created database. Make sure you uncheck Track Autoname... and Compact on Close. If it turns out the results are the same have a look at the links below.

@SmallTime,

When your hair grows back :D have a look at...

Sounds like the beginning of corruption...
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruption/symptoms.htm
I would make a back-up, make another back-up and then first try importing everything into a new database. Also, read this article...
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruption/retrievedata.htm
And after all of that I would finish off with this article…
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-25.html and see if any of those circumstances apply to you.
And when all else fails…
Data Recovery Services (I have never used them but I see them most mentioned when trying to recover data)…
http://www.pksolutions.com/t4.htm

One of those contains a link on how to avoid corruption...

SmallTime

Registered User.
Local time
Try importing everything into a clean, newly created database. Make sure you uncheck Track Autoname... and Compact on Close. If it turns out the results are the same have a look at the links below.

Tried this numerous times but still kept hitting the same problem.

I guess your response was that Office was in trouble and your db application was fine. Is that right?

Bb and access were Ok before SP1, after SP1 Access seemed to work fine but every time went into VBA window and closed the db it would corrupt on the next attempt.

Luckily I make regular backups which I kept restoring all the way back to the first back-up and was still getting the very same problem you described, to the letter.

Now having repaired access (or rather office) no more corruption, well not for the last 2 days anyway.

From the bald guy
(and the wife still aint speaking to me)

SmallTime

Registered User.
Local time

Tried this numerous times but still kept hitting the same problem.

I guess your response was that Office was in trouble and your db application was fine. Is that right?

Bb and access were Ok before SP1, after SP1 Access seemed to work fine but every time went into VBA window and closed the db it would corrupt on the next attempt.

Luckily I make regular backups which I kept restoring all the way back to the first back-up and was still getting the very same problem you described, to the letter.

Now having repaired access (or rather office) no more corruption, well not for the last 2 days anyway.

From the bald guy
(and the wife still aint speaking to me)

SmallTime

Registered User.
Local time
knew I was being a little premature and too optimistic.

Woke up this morning, started my ACCDB and what d you know, the same old error message. Worked on it all day yesterday no problems. what on earth's going on with MS producing a service Service pack that makes things worse. Will be doing a complete un-install today and starting over again.

One angy bald quy

FHLTICIA

Local time
Today, 23:24
Since upgrading to SP1 I have had 3 instances where the VBA code has become corrupt and when trying the amend (or even delete a module) Access crashes. there is no option but to restore the DB from a backup and do the work again.

I have just removed SP1 and will see if this makes any difference.
I am using Office Home Professional Plus 32 bit

Keith

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
I uninstalled Access, reinstalled it, installed SP1. I don't know if this is a clue, but when I look in the Event Viewer, I see the following Application Error:

Faulting application name: MSACCESS.EXE, version: 14.0.6024.1000, time stamp: 0x4d83e4fc
Faulting module name: VBE7.DLL, version: 7.0.16.19, time stamp: 0x4d430aec
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00120b65
Faulting process id: 0xf7c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc44dffa71864b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\VBA\VBA7\VBE7.DLL
Report Id: 3c92444f-b0d3-11e0-bf47-001fc6732cf4

This is kind of strange to me that Access is the only Office Professional application that is giving an error. I don't know if the error is attributed to the problems we're all having.

SmallTime

Registered User.
Local time
(Using 32 bit on XP)

I've un-installed SP1 and all the Db's that were crashing are now working fine.

Hope this helps some poor soul.

SmallTime

Last edited:

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
I hope it helps my soul as well. The bottom of my shoes are fine. :)

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Please note the issue of SP1 has been escalated due the the complaints of the many... For the time being I would suggest removal of SP1 for Office if you have installed AND if you have not DO NOT...

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
Gina, thank you very much for your responses. I have removed SP1 for Access 2010 from all of my computers and my clients. Are you in a position to get feedback from Microsoft when they will have a response to the SP1 issues and when they will issue fixes? Thank you again. Chuck

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
@Chuck,

All I can say the issues have been escalated to the powers that be, including a link to this thread. Once there is a solution I'll be running back here to post it.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
YIPPPPPEEEEE! Didn't think we'd get a response that fast!

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that...

SmallTime

Registered User.
Local time
Anyone know if SP1 has been fixed yet?

SmallTime

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom