Question about normalized tables (1 Viewer)

MR_G

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:18
I have been posting in the theory and database structure formum, but i thought this ? might be better received here:

If I have a table for say, Sales_Items and there are different types of sales items, say food and clothing, is it okay to have fields that some items don't use?

ex.

TABLE:
tbl_SALES_ITEMS
FIELDS:
SALES_ITEM_ID (PK)
SALES_ITEM_NAME
SALES_ITEM_SIZE
SALES_ITEM_COLOR

If I have a sales item: Hamburger, it will get a null for SIZE and COLOR. This doesn't seems right. But in previous posts, people were suggesting that I keep all of my sales items together and not separate them into individual tables.

The problem with separating them is that, when I go to put them all together in a form were users pick a sales item for a receipt, it doesn't work very well. Sorry, I am babbling now.

The question is: Is it okay to have null values in a table like tbl_SALES as described above, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

MR_G

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
The simple answer is, yes it is okay to not use fields for everything. However, if you start to get too many of those "possible" fields then I would suggest that you might think about moving to another table to handle the items that might be applicable to only some things.

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 03:18
When you analyse an entity then you establish the attributes of that item. Now it is quite in order to have null values for an attribute but it would, I suggest be good practice to attempt toestablish anentry for all attributes.

Why ?.
A null value ?. Is it Null or is it missing. That is the quaetion as they say.

So firstly how about a N/A value for Colour when associated with hamburger. ?

That determines that Colour is not null and therefore there is not a missing entry.

You can also find all items where Colour is not applicable. Regarding Size.

How about another attribute called Unit of measure. therefore Hamburger has a Size say 4 and a unit of measure of Ounces say. This Unit of measure becomes applicable to all items that have a value for size. I suggest you have a control table for UOM's. That way you will also control what UOM's can be used and allows a search using both Size and UOM to find items.

e.g. Search Size 4 and UOM Ounce and you get the hamburger, sausage or whatever

Len

MR_G

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks guys,

I wish I would have found this forum long ago. Truly appreciate the help.

MR_G

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 03:18
Mr G
help is not a problem for people on this forum.

It is good to get a response back, that helps the helpers.

If you click on the scales on the helpers post you can add Reputation points.

Just a bit of info for next time

Len B

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom