Read only mode in Access 2010 (1 Viewer)

mo9rissat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:50
Hello,

I'm working in Access 2010. I created a database that I want to post in a server on the read-only mode, so that users can not change forms or querys. How can I do this in Access 2010?

Thank you for your help.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:50
Welcome aboard:)
Do they need to change data?

You can prevent users from changing forms/reports/modules by compiling the database and distributing an .accde. That does nothing to protect tables/queries/macros. You'll need to rely on other techniques such as hiding the navigation pane and disabling the shift-bypass key. All are described here in many posts. Happy searching.

smartascii

Local time
Today, 05:50
If your data is added exclusively in forms, you can give your users Access 2010 Runtime, which only has the capacity to display forms and allow data entry through them. It also has the added benefit of not requiring a license (I think), which may save you some money. One caveat: because it lacks even the capacity to choose which forms to display, you'll have to set your database to open the correct form on launch, and use buttons or navigation forms to allow your users to move between forms, if you have multiple.

mo9rissat

Registered User.
Local time
Good morning and thank you for your answers.

Yes I tried to put my database in *. Accde mode but it allows the user to see the forms in creation mode, so they can change them.

For the *. Accdr (runtime) I tested it, it meets my needs but when I launch the database, I see a message that is a little scary:
A potential security issue has been identified....

Any solution for that messages??

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes I tried to put my database in *. Accde mode but it allows the user to see the forms in creation mode, so they can change them.
Did you just rename the file? You need to actually create the .accde through the Access interface. The users CANNOT get into design view for forms/reports/modules once you do that. Try again. Also make sure you don't lose the .accdb because you cannot go back. If you need to make changes, you'll need to make them to the .accdb and then recreate the .accde.

I reread your initial post and it sounds like you have all the users sharing the same database. That makes for an unstable environment. You need to split the database into an FE and BE if you haven't done so already and distribute the FE to each user so they have their own personal copy on their local hard drive.

smartascii - giving users the Access runtime doesn't do anything to protect the database. They can still open it with the full version if they have it or simply copy the file and take it home to play with. Granted, the .accde doesn't give much protection but it does give some.

After creating the .accde, you can rename it to .accdr. That tells Access to pretend to be the runtime engine so the user will not under any conditions be able to get to design view on anything which on the surface is exactly what you want. However, if the user reads these forums, he will know that he can simply rename the file back to .accde and get in and mess with the queries and macros. He'll have to open the BE to mess with the tables.

mo9rissat

Registered User.
Local time
Hello,
Thanks for your response and your help.
For now I just converted my database to *.accdr in order to set it in the read only mode.

I think that the idea of ​​splitting the DB in FE and BE is good but I do not know how to do it.

Did you just rename the file? You need to actually create the .accde through the Access interface. The users CANNOT get into design view for forms/reports/modules once you do that. Try again. Also make sure you don't lose the .accdb because you cannot go back. If you need to make changes, you'll need to make them to the .accdb and then recreate the .accde.

I reread your initial post and it sounds like you have all the users sharing the same database. That makes for an unstable environment. You need to split the database into an FE and BE if you haven't done so already and distribute the FE to each user so they have their own personal copy on their local hard drive.

smartascii - giving users the Access runtime doesn't do anything to protect the database. They can still open it with the full version if they have it or simply copy the file and take it home to play with. Granted, the .accde doesn't give much protection but it does give some.

After creating the .accde, you can rename it to .accdr. That tells Access to pretend to be the runtime engine so the user will not under any conditions be able to get to design view on anything which on the surface is exactly what you want. However, if the user reads these forums, he will know that he can simply rename the file back to .accde and get in and mess with the queries and macros. He'll have to open the BE to mess with the tables.

Ramnik

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:20
well can we use the user authentication kind of method to secure our database >???? any suggestions about multiple users having multiple limitations ... how to achieve this kind of functionality ......thankssss

quotegirl

Local time
Today, 03:50
I'm "stuck" in read only mode. How do I get out of it. HELP!!!:eek:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
For now I just converted my database to *.accdr in order to set it in the read only mode.
This isn't any real protection since the user can just rename the file to get full access again. I suggested it because it adds one more layer to keep people out. You have to at least save as an .accde and then rename that file. As I said earlier -- DO NOT LOOSE THE ORIGINAL .accdb. You cannot recreate it from the .accde.

@quotegirl - welcome aboard:)
It is generally best to start a new thread when you have a different problem. Also a little more detail would help. Are you saying that you have an .accdb that opens to a form and you can't get into design view? The answer to that is to hold the shift key while the database opens. Unless you blocked this with code, it should open the database in design view. If you did block it, go back to the backup copy.

quotegirl

Local time
I'm trying to make changes to the table and I cannot make changes because it states in read only mode. I know enough about Access to be dangerous...I've never had this issue before...2 years of working this product and now I'm at a loss. It states I have to save it, which I've done but still cannot make changes or get it out of read only mode. Any other suggestions?

quotegirl

Local time
I get an error that says "your microsoft office database or project contains a missing or broken reference to the file INFRARED.OCX version 1.0 it states I must fix this reference...I don't know what it is...???

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Open any code module.
Click Tools/References.
Find the reference marked "MISSING". Either fix the link so Access can find the library or delete the reference. Of course, option 2 won't work if you actually need the referenced library. If you need it, you will need to locate it on your PC or install it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom