Removable k missing and usb issues (1 Viewer)

pixie100

Local time
Today, 09:35
Hi there
I have a few probs with usb ports.Firstly in my computer/devices with removable storage,the icon for removable disk (k) is missing and my J and k ports seem to be intermittent at recognising devices when i plug them in.Also when i right click on removable disk (J) all i get is the hour glass and then nothing.Any help gratefully appreciated.

MicroE

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:35
I suggest testing the removable media on another PC to determine if the issue is the PC or the Media. If it is the media, you may need to reformat it (this will erase any data).
When you disconnect the USB devices, are you using the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon on the Taskbar (near the clock) before pulling the device out of the USB Port? Not doing so could cause problems and corruptions. Lastly, some devices (once installed) are sensitive to their installation port. Meaning, it may not work properly if is not connected to the exact same USB port it was initially setup on.

pixie100

Local time
Today, 09:35
I suggest testing the removable media on another PC to determine if the issue is the PC or the Media. If it is the media, you may need to reformat it (this will erase any data).
When you disconnect the USB devices, are you using the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon on the Taskbar (near the clock) before pulling the device out of the USB Port? Not doing so could cause problems and corruptions. Lastly, some devices (once installed) are sensitive to their installation port. Meaning, it may not work properly if is not connected to the exact same USB port it was initially setup on.

Girlfriend just admitted to not using safely remove hardware when downloading to her mp3 player so this maybe the problem. what's the solution? I've been into computer management ie right click my computer then manage and have noticed that when i plug my camera into each usb which should be k & J they are recognised as both being k which i dont see an icon for in my computer/devices with removable storage and also the removable disk J is seen but it seems that this is assigned to my all in one printer which has a card reader which i have never used.But if i right click on disk J the lovelly hour glass appears then nothing.
Any help gratefully appreciated

MicroE

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:35
I would disconnect all USB storage devices and reboot the PC. Then reinitialize each device by attaching them 1 by 1.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:35
Firstly ignore the drive letters J and K Windows assigns the next available drive letter to the device.

Is this happening with all removal devices ? (sorry a bit confused as to what works and doesn't) If it's only the mp3 player it may need to be reformated (this will delete all data)

There are different versions of USB and some devices are not compatable with certain motherboards - has this just started happening or has there been anything done on the PC recently, updates/ drivers/ software installs ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom