Run-time error 3134 :Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement (1 Viewer)

santhosh23

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:25
Hi

I am creating a table in access database for my company which reads the data from a subform and store in a table. I have 5 values in which 2 of them are combo box and 3 values are time values (start time , end time and work time)..I executed the below insert into statement which throws runtime error .

CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO sample(toolCare Job#,Worked On Activity,Start Time, End Time, Total Time)" &_
"VALUES('" & Me.cbotoolCare_Job & "','" & Me.cboWorked_On_Activity & "','" & Me.txtStartTime & "','" & Me.txtEndTime & "','" & Me.txtWorkTime & "')"

I also executed various queries reading forums but nothing worked for me..

any help could be appreciated ..

thank you

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 15:25
You have poorly named field names:

toolCare Job#

You should only use alphanumeric and underscores in names. When you don't do that you must use brackets to tell the SQL engine where your field names are:

[toolCare Job#]

Also, I'd add spaces before and after your keywords and table names:

sample(...)VALUES(

sample (...) VALUES (

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:25
Although Plog has covered it, I would point out that you have spaces in your names - e.g. Worked On Activity

these also need to be in square brackets

santhosh23

Registered User.
Local time
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I executed this below query but I am still getting runtime error.

CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO sample ([toolCare Job#],Worked On Activity,Start Time, End Time, Total Time)" & _
"VALUES ('" & Me.cbotoolCare_Job & "','" & Me.cboWorked_On_Activity & "','" & Me.txtStartTime & "','" & Me.txtEndTime & "','" & Me.txtWorkTime & "')"

Can you give me some inputs.. Is this query correct because when i searched in forums in few they have asked hashtags before the time field ..

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 15:25
Again, when you have non-alphanumeric characters (like a space) you need brackets. You need to fully bracket all your fields.

And why are you not using a bound form? Why are you doing this via VBA?

santhosh23

Registered User.
Local time
Hi ..I am able to record values in tables for all fields except toolcare job ..I think the field names are problem and I am changing it ..but my subform doesnt show table data ..it just shows like #Name? for all fields ..can you provide some info.. and I am just using access for 3 days so I didnt know about bound form ..I will check that..thank you

santhosh23

Registered User.
Local time
@Plog , @CJ_Johnson ..

thank you so much for your help

santhosh23

Registered User.
Local time
Hi ..

I am trying to update information for 7 fields now from the form to the table ...but I am not able to get for one field "Me.txtbarcode"..any help is appreciated ..

CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO sample ([User],[Barcode],[toolCare Job],[Worked On Activity],[Start Time], [End Time], [WorkTime])" & _
"VALUES ('" & Me.txtUser & "','" & Me.txtbarcode & "','" & Me.cbotoolCare_Job & "','" & Me.cboWorked_On_Activity & "','" & Me.txtStartTime & "','" & Me.txtEndTime & "','" & Me.txtWorkTime & "')"

thanks in advance

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
not sure what you mean by

but I am not able to get for one field "Me.txtbarcode"

please clarify

santhosh23

Registered User.
Local time
Hi..I created a navigation form which has the subform I am giving values for 7 fields and these 7 fields are then written to a table..I am able to record data's for 6 field but one of the fields I am not able to record data...Barcode field which gets value from barcode scanner.. this is the query i am using for saving data..

CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO sample ([User],[Barcode],[toolCare Job],[Worked On Activity],[Start Time], [End Time], [WorkTime])" & _
"VALUES ('" & Me.txtUser & "','" & Me.txtbarcode & "','" & Me.cbotoolCare_Job & "','" & Me.cboWorked_On_Activity & "','" & Me.txtStartTime & "','" & Me.txtEndTime & "','" & Me.txtWorkTime & "')"

any help is appreciated ..

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm still confused - is the problem with your query or with populating the barcode field from the scanner?

Are you getting any errors?

barcode readings are usually text - is your field in your sample table also text and of sufficient length?

You are only showing the execute statement - have you disabled error messages? If so, temporarily enable them until the problem is resolved

santhosh23

Registered User.
Local time
Hi ..I think there is no problem in populating it works fine..I read barcode values using scanner and the values are updated in barcode field and I have a before update event procedure that works fine ..the code is below..

BarcodefrmTable = DLookup("Barcode", "Barcode_Table", "toolCareJob= '" & Me.cbotoolCare_Job & "'")
BarcodefrmScanner = Me.txtbarcode.Value

If BarcodefrmTable = BarcodefrmScanner Then

MsgBox "Barcode Match with ToolcareJob Go ahead fill start time"
DoCmd.Save

Else

MsgBox "Barcode and ToolCareJob Not Matching"

these 2 condns are checked ..and I get the message..but after this when I save the data ..all the other fields are updated whereas the barcode field is not updated in my subform..i am wondering do I need to give control source for this barcode..thats empty now..

and I didnt disable the error message

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom