running balance / subtotal (1 Viewer)

SamDeMan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:44
Hi

I haven't been on for a while. so hello everybody.

I am trying to keep a subtotal in a table. there is an index (actually its formatted text, but its a number and i can converted i.e. cdbl()). I was thinking that i should create one query with dmax in one column and and then use another one to show the value plus the previous value.

can anybody help me out please?

thanks,

Sam

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:44
Running totals are a standard feature of reports. Is there a reason why it has to be in your table?

SamDeMan

Registered User.
Local time
Running totals are a standard feature of reports. Is there a reason why it has to be in your table?

subtotals that you are talking about are after a grouping. but each entry i don't think that it would work. i think its pretty simple in a query, dsum()

i guess your method can work, it just may be so efficient.

sam

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I would not store a calculated value in a table. Use a query instead so you avoid problems if one of the values changes later on.

SamDeMan

Registered User.
Local time
just realized, there was a typo in my question, "I am trying to keep a subtotal in a table" is incorrect. i meant to write "I am trying to get a subtotal from a table" sorry for that confusion.

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
subtotals that you are talking about are after a grouping. but each entry i don't think that it would work. i think its pretty simple in a query, dsum()

i guess your method can work, it just may be so efficient.

sam
No, I mean running sums. Look this up in Access help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom