Runtime Error 2501 on All Programs (1 Viewer)

billmh

Local time
Today, 11:13
I just came back from vacation and ran one of the programs I wrote and I get this error 2501 on the line Docmd.OpenForm "DataConnect"

The program is a Frontend to the tables located on our server. The DataConnect verifies that the program and tables are connected. The program worked fine when I left a few weeks ago. It runs if I bypass the the form that calls it which I can then manually connect to the tables and the rest of the program works.

Checking my backup, it does the same thing. Checking a few other programs that use the same process they get the same error.

I am thinking that Windows must have updated something, but how to find it??? I even recompiled the program and got no errors. So, I am stumped.

This is so bizarre. Every program including the older backups have the same issue and on all computers. Even those compiled to an accde. So, I am sure something in a Windows Update must have caused this problem. I have no other answer. BTW this is Access 2007.

I found a solution for fixing a corrupted program on this site. I just have open a new database and import all the forms, reports, etc. Then it works!!!!!!!! What the heck! At least that fixed the issue, until the next update.

Last edited:

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 02:13
Dont' have an answer, just an observation:

Had two other (not mine) MSAccess 2007 applications stop working three weeks ago at the same time. The consultant that wrote them left last year. They came to me, a consultant in a different division, for help. Recompile had no effect.
It was a Front-end, back-end in MS Access 2007. Lots of DoCmd, very very little VBA code. No error trapping. Massive errors on the docmd open form.

In my case, they were running old Access 2007 code with Access 2010. Every thing worked fine until they both stopped working. These and my applicaiton run on Windows Server - distrubuted by Citrix. The error was the same there as the error from a backup running on my Windows 7 Enterprize development workstation. So, as your experience, the historical files that ran before, now produced errors.

My solution was to import all objects into Access 2010. Once they were imported into the new Access 2010 format, the code worked. I made no code changes at all. That is why your solution made me think about this again. Thought it might be worth posting this in case someone else has the same problem.

My guess is that some update to Windows (or maybe ODBC) caused the change.
One application used ODBC, the other one used Linked Access Tables.

The application that I designed uses code to make a DSN-Less connection from Access 2010 to SQL Server using the SQL Native Client. All three of these were running on the same Windows Server - with Citrix.

Last edited:

billmh

Local time
Today, 11:13
Our experience seems too similar. I agree with you about the possibility of a Windows Update causing the problem. Cannot think how several different programs using similar code would all fail at once.

I did use the Docmd function, with no error trapping, to open the backend connection check process. Thought to put some in to see where the error was, but the import process did the trick. But I think if a windows update caused the problem, all the error checking may have done is stop the program anyway.

I wonder if many others are going to have the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom