Seperate databases or just one? (1 Viewer)

moto485

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:26
Just wondering would it be best to put the following in 4 separate databases? i would think so but thought id ask..
Assets (including equipment, vehicles, testing equipment, equip. tracking, etc)
Training (certificates, yearly training, staff training, etc)
People & Suppliers (all the usual you can think of)
Stock (stock in, out, barcodes, prices, all the usual and a bit more:)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:26
Where do these proposed databases fit? Are these for a major organization? What is in place now? Do you have a model of the business - processes, entities and relationships? You can always design the big picture and build/implement as time and resources allow.

moto485

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:26
at the moment your usual excel sheets :) Some of these db exist others will be created later on. I am currently doing a rough er diagram of everything and then i'll focus on a detailed er diagram for People, Assets, Training databases. I was going to start of with those 3 and build from there. Just was not entirely sure if separate db was needed..

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:26
If you build your ER diagram to deal with the subjects , entities and relationships, and use a naming convention that helps identify the pieces, you can build 1 part now, a second later, or 3 at once, and they should be able to fit together. Now, depending on the number of simultaneous users and their physical locations, your physical set up may require some design considerations.

I would recommend you focus on the ERD now and make sure it represents and satisfies your requirements.

Good luck.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:26
some of those sound like they are unrelated.

assets - personnel/training

unless you need them to be available together (eg - you want to record personnel/asset allocation) it probably makes sense to separate them. Even then you may not need all of the tables available.

it may be better to separate them, as it will probably keep your data more secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom